Why Has My Forum Avatar Been Removed?

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
csouter

Why Has My Forum Avatar Been Removed?

Post by csouter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:07 pm

I was poking around in my User Control Panel today, and I noticed that the photo I had uploaded years ago as my forum avatar was now labelled with a message saying that it has been removed as the file is an incorrect type, with no further explanation.

The file was certainly the correct type when I originally uploaded it, because it was visible in all my posts.

Furthermore, there is no longer the ability to upload another file.

Why has the file been removed without my knowledge or any explanation, and why am I no longer allowed to upload my own file?

Also, I notice that there are still a number of forum avatars still visible on this board, which means that not all of them have been removed, so, why has mine been removed, and why didn't anybody at least leave a PM with an explanation?

I must say that I am not feeling comfortable about the way Exetel has been changing over the last few months.

My service has, (apart from some hiccups a few years ago), been problem-free, and support has, for the most part, been excellent.

However, I discovered recently that changes have been made to my plan without my knowledge, with my upload/download limits changed, and the free off-peak period seems no longer to exist. I have never received one word of advice from Exetel that this was going to happen.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I was also forced to change from a naked DSL plan to a bundle, so now I have to pay $20 per month for a phone I never use, because I have a VoIP number. In all that time, I think I have made at most 3 calls using that landline, and sent 1 fax.

I have been a loyal customer of Exetel for almost 11 years; my first ADSL connection commenced in April or March, 2004. In all that time, I think my monthly payment has been late 3 times at the most. In fact, it was not so long ago that an Exetel customer service operator remarked that I must have been among the first people to have signed up to the then-fledgling company, because my account number is only 4 digits, the number itself considerably lower than 1500.

Lately, Exetel seems to have had a rather disturbing change of attitude towards its loyal customers, and I, for one, do not appreciate it.

In fact, I'm wondering whether the forum mods might delete this post, because, if they do, it wouldn't be the first time that my criticism of a technology company was silenced by having the mods delete my posts. I was rather critical of Kaspersky Labs some time back, having used their software, annually renewing and upgrading for over 6 years, but when I had a complaint about one of their updates which had caused my machine to become dysfunctional, my questions were ignored and my posts were deleted. Needless to say, I removed all traces of Kaspersky Labs software from my machine and took out a subscription with another anti-virus software vendor, so, I hope that it won't happen, here, because I would hate to leave a service provider that has served me so well for almost 11 years.

Anyway, if this post is allowed to stay up, I would appreciate an answer as to why Exetel has removed the facility for a forum user to upload his/her own avatar.
Last edited by csouter on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Why Has My Forum Avatar Been Removed?

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:35 pm

I don't know. Images can be up to 96x96 pixels and up to 6 kB. Mine is a small gif with a transparent background.

Edit avatar is under the profile tab.

BTW- If you were to adopt a Linux distro, like Mint or Ubuntu, you need not use anti-malware software again.

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Dazzled wrote:I don't know. Images can be up to 96x96 pixels and up to 6 kB. Mine is a small gif with a transparent background. Edit avatar is under the profile tab.
There is no longer any menu item to browse for and upload my own file, only a box to input a link to a website, (presumably an image hosting site of my choice, I suppose). I can no longer see a "Browse..." button, which would change to an "Upload" button once a file had been chosen.

AFAICR, my avatar WAS 62 x 62 Px and 3.37KB. Why do you think it was removed? (Maybe I'm looking at the wrong file on my machine, but the only other files I can find are much bigger, around 27kB, even though they're the correct dimensions).

Anyway, thanks for replying so quickly; at least that means my critical post hasn't been deleted... YET! ;)
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 pm

csouter wrote: Lately, Exetel seems to have had a rather disturbing change of attitude towards its loyal customers, and I, for one, do not appreciate it.

In fact, I'm wondering whether the forum mods might delete this post, because, if they do, it wouldn't be the first time that my criticism of a technology company was silenced by having the mods delete my posts.

Anyway, if this post is allowed to stay up, I would appreciate an answer as to why Exetel has removed the facility for a forum user to upload his/her own avatar.
Agreed management attitudes have changed, the 'tone' has shifted from open and informed to closed and unengaged … when censorship becomes the norm WORRY…
It's not what I signed up to. Pity.
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Mixer wrote:It's not what I signed up to. Pity.
It's not what I signed up to, either.

I don't engage much with Exetel on Facebook, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to leave a few public comments on their page and see what happens.

When I was forced to change from Naked DSL to a bundle, their attitude came across as something like:

"Well, if you don't like it, you know what you can do..."

(Those were not the exact words, it was more some stuff about it not being economic for Optus, or something along those lines, but they did say that there were plenty of other ISPs who offered naked DSL and that I might like to try my luck with them).

It was as if they were telling me that loyal customers like me were a dime a dozen, and that there were plenty more where I came from.
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:42 pm

We moved all naked customers to a plan with an active phone, for pretty much the same price, as it was too difficult to troubleshoot without the active line.

csouter

Post by csouter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:49 pm

James wrote:We moved all naked customers to a plan with an active phone, for pretty much the same price, as it was too difficult to troubleshoot without the active line.
OK... That's not what I was told at the time, but it's a long time ago, now.
BTW, do Exetel still publish a monthly newsletter?
I used to enjoy reading it; there was always heaps of info about upcoming changes, etc, along with plenty of explanations.
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm

csouter wrote:
James wrote:We moved all naked customers to a plan with an active phone, for pretty much the same price, as it was too difficult to troubleshoot without the active line.
OK... That's not what I was told at the time, but it's a long time ago, now.
BTW, do Exetel still publish a monthly newsletter?
I used to enjoy reading it; there was always heaps of info about upcoming changes, etc, along with plenty of explanations.
No, we no longer publish a newsletter.

csouter

Post by csouter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:00 pm

James wrote:No, we no longer publish a newsletter.
Pity. :(

Is there any way to upload my own avatar file, apart from linking to some outside website?
(As I wrote in my OP, the "Browse/Upload..." button is no longer visible in the "Edit avatar" section).
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:26 pm

csouter wrote:
James wrote:No, we no longer publish a newsletter.
Pity. :(

Is there any way to upload my own avatar file, apart from linking to some outside website?
(As I wrote in my OP, the "Browse/Upload..." button is no longer visible in the "Edit avatar" section).
Unfortunately no. This option is not available.

csouter

Post by csouter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:31 pm

angelos wrote:Unfortunately no. This option is not available.
And why not?
I know that there are plenty of members here who have had the same avatars for many years, and they are still visible.
My old avatar was within the guidelines, and it was removed. Why?
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:42 pm

It must be a forum bug, does it really matter?

csouter

Post by csouter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:52 pm

James wrote:It must be a forum bug, does it really matter?
Yes, it does.
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:54 pm

csouter wrote:
James wrote:It must be a forum bug, does it really matter?
Yes, it does.
It must be a bug, i'm sorry but there is nothing we can do about it.

csouter

Post by csouter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:29 pm

James wrote:It must be a bug, i'm sorry but there is nothing we can do about it.

So, how do I go about linking a remote image?
I've never done anything like that, before.
I suppose that the first step would be to upload an image to a hosting site.
Are there any instructions in an FAQ somewhere?

UPDATE: I've figured out how to do it, so you can ignore the above questions.
:D
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)