Chrome Web Browser - Scam Tab

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
GeoffMc

Chrome Web Browser - Scam Tab

Post by GeoffMc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:34 pm

I clicked on a link on a website and up popped another tab on my browser telling me I am a lucky Exetel user and have won a prize (see attachment).
I closed down the browser without clicking on anything as it looks like a scam.

I have had something similar happen in the past where it was an 'Exetel Survey' that popped up in a tab on my browser. I emailed a screen shot to Exetel but the response was "Please forward such e-mails to spam@exetel.com.au which may enable our spam filters to train for such spams.". This tech support person obviously did not understand the problem.

Any suggestions to stop this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Geoff
Attachments
ExetelSpam.png
ExetelSpam.png (123.31 KiB) Viewed 2454 times

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Re: Chrome Web Browser - Scam Tab

Post by Kaushalya » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:05 pm

GeoffMc wrote:I clicked on a link on a website and up popped another tab on my browser telling me I am a lucky Exetel user and have won a prize (see attachment).
I closed down the browser without clicking on anything as it looks like a scam.

I have had something similar happen in the past where it was an 'Exetel Survey' that popped up in a tab on my browser. I emailed a screen shot to Exetel but the response was "Please forward such e-mails to spam@exetel.com.au which may enable our spam filters to train for such spams.". This tech support person obviously did not understand the problem.

Any suggestions to stop this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Geoff
I can confirm that this is not something generated from Exetel end and we do not have any responsibility for it.

Therefore, you may close the page without clicking on any links of it. I would suggest you below as well,
- Make sure you secure your personal information.
- Delete and do not open any unsolicited or suspicious emails you receive.
- Secure your computer and mobile devices etc.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Chrome Web Browser - Scam Tab

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:23 pm

I would add news-cm.info to the spam filter. This site is one that hides its owner behind Domains by Proxy. There may be legitimate reasons for anonymity, but there are plenty of illegitimate reasons too. Draw your own conclusion from this type of message.