Cannot send email through smtp server

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
cponline

Cannot send email through smtp server

Post by cponline » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:21 am

I use the smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au server on my Exetel connection to send email from within a couple of applications.
I have been using this now for years.

Yesterday this just stopped working. I believe that the Exetel SMTP server doesn't need login details or anything if you are using an exetel internet connection?

Has this changed? Or anything else that might have stopped me being able to relay email through here?
I couldn't see any notices of permissions changing that would have affected this.

Kumudh
Forum Admin

Re: Cannot send email through smtp server

Post by Kumudh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:26 am

cponline wrote:I use the smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au server on my Exetel connection to send email from within a couple of applications.

Yesterday this just stopped working. I believe that the Exetel SMTP server doesn't need login details or anything if you are using an exetel internet connection?

Has this changed? Or anything else that might have stopped me being able to relay email through here?
I couldn't see any notices of permissions changing that would have affected this.
Hi cponline,

There have been no changes made to the SMTP server. You are correct. The SMTP server doesn't need login details or anything if you are using an exetel internet connection.

Please PM your service number and the email address you are having issues with so we can look into this. Also please advise if you are getting a bounce back message or an error message when sending emails.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:49 pm

As Kumudh said, one of the security "features" of SMTP is that you must be sending from an Exetel IP.

The easy way to test mail (so you see all error messages) is on the terminal/DOS prompt. I showed how it's done a month or so ago at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42169

Kumudh
Forum Admin

Post by Kumudh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi cponline,

A ticket has been created under the reference number 9333938 and the case has been forwarded to our system administrator.

We will let you know once an update is received on the case.

Cheers,
Kumudh

Kumudh
Forum Admin

Post by Kumudh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:54 pm

cponline wrote:I use the smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au server on my Exetel connection to send email from within a couple of applications.
An email has been sent to you with regards to this case. Please refer it and advise once the steps mentioned have been taken.