Suddent Drop in Download Speeds: ADSL2+

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
kyteflyer

Suddent Drop in Download Speeds: ADSL2+

Post by kyteflyer » Fri May 13, 2016 10:26 am

Having read some of the others I guess I should be grateful for what I have. However, to drop from a fairly reliable 13.8Mbps to something between 2.5 and 4-5Mbps is a bit of a shock.

I rang support earlier, and the representative to whom I spoke asked the relevant questions which I answered (though I did have difficulty with his accent) and then he said he would do some tests. I had no idea whether I was to wait, or hang up, but that decision was made for me when the call cut off. I have no idea even now, whether I will be notified of the results of the tests, what the tests are, how long I should be waiting for a response before I ring again (I don't want to, I really had trouble both hearing and understanding him).

With this in mind I sent an email as well, and was at least given a ticket number (10287175) but also pretty much told to ring... Certainly no indication of any reply by email. Again, I do not want to ring when I am not able to hear properly or understand the foreign accent.

Here's what I have done so far. Isolation test. No filters. 2 modems. Multiple reboots. There is no noise on my phone line, and my upload speeds are within normal limits for ADSL2+. Its only the download thats affected.
image.jpeg
Modem stats
image.jpeg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
This shows (I think) that line speeds are syncing at what they should be. Not sure about SNR margins and the other info.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.39 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
This is the last few speed tests from Speedtest.net

I also tried ozspeedtest but the results from there seemed to be way off (as in even lower than what Ookla says...)

So.. Whats next? Port reset and pray?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Suddent Drop in Download Speeds: ADSL2+

Post by KavindaS » Fri May 13, 2016 3:25 pm

kyteflyer wrote:
With this in mind I sent an email as well, and was at least given a ticket number (10287175) but also pretty much told to ring... Certainly no indication of any reply by email. Again, I do not want to ring when I am not able to hear properly or understand the foreign accent.
Hi,

I have checked the service and referred with the email ticket reference number 10287175. One of the engineers have already wored on your service issue and we will update you via the same email reference 10287175.

kyteflyer

Post by kyteflyer » Fri May 13, 2016 3:50 pm

Email received. A little disappointed that I have to do the tests I have already done. Does it *really* matter if I test at Speedtest.net rather than speedtest.exetel? Its the same service with your branding.

The shell script stalled after trying to traceroute to google and would go no further. But, I shall do as instructed and repeat all the tests again. and again.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri May 13, 2016 3:59 pm

kyteflyer wrote:Email received. A little disappointed that I have to do the tests I have already done. Does it *really* matter if I test at Speedtest.net rather than speedtest.exetel? Its the same service with your branding.

The shell script stalled after trying to traceroute to google and would go no further. But, I shall do as instructed and repeat all the tests again. and again.
You may skip the tests you have already done. Perform other requested tests and reply back to the same email thread.

kyteflyer

Post by kyteflyer » Mon May 16, 2016 11:13 am

Done on Friday morning, now awaiting outcomes.

rehanj
Exetel Staff

Post by rehanj » Mon May 16, 2016 5:40 pm

kyteflyer wrote:Done on Friday morning, now awaiting outcomes.
Hi,

A reply has been sent to you on the same email thread, please be kind enough to refer the email and provide us an update.