Post by csouter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a couple of general VoIP questions:

Question #1:

Here is my User Facilities Config Screen:
Exetel VoIP Config Screen v3.jpg
My User Facilities Config Screen
Exetel VoIP Config Screen v3.jpg (163.53 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
In the section highlighted with a red rectangle (caller ID), the annotation underneath the two radio buttons says:

"Display Caller ID (Yes or NO)"

If the "Yes" radio button is selected, exactly which Caller ID is displayed: INCOMING or OUTGOING?

Question #2:

When ordering a new VoIP number, there appears to be no option to have the number unlisted, (i.e, "Silent" or "Private").

I seem to remember, in the dim, distant past, when I first applied to port my unlisted Telstra-supplied home phone number to Exetel VoIP, that there was an option to specify whether or not the number was to be listed, and I specified that the number should be unlisted. (This application was in connection with changing my service from Exetel/Telstra ADSL2+ to the now-discontinued Exetel/Optus Naked DSL. I now have the Exetel FTTH service, still using the same VoIP number on ExeFone VoIP).

Unfortunately, once the Naked DSL service was all up and running, I discovered that my new Exetel/Optus service had actually become a listed number! It took about 6 weeks to get the number unlisted again, and I had to put the number on the DNCR, (Do Not Call Register), for all the good that seems to have done. It seems that the problem was caused by a careless Optus employee, and, it took a very long time to reverse the effect of a SINGLE UNTICKED BOX!

I still receive nuisance calls, calls from charities, political parties and various scammers, most of which I am powerless to stop, as many of the calls are anonymous.

I have looked at ordering a new number from my Member Facilities, but there is no option to specify that the number should be kept private.

Also, the "Terms and Conditions" to which I am compelled to agree now include a $300.00 bond, to be debited automatically from my credit card. All this, because I want my new number to be TRULY SILENT.

Furthermore, I checked the Exetel website (without logging into my account), and I found that Exetel does not offer stand-alone VoIP accounts, only ExeFone VoIP associated with an Exetel ADSL or Fibre service; and now, I can't remember whether the unlisted option was available when I ordered my Fibre service. I certainly don't want to go through a whole "dummy" application, just to find out such a small detail.

Can anyone advise me how to request that a new VoIP number is to be unlisted? I just don't want to go through all the hassles of getting a new number that turns out not to be unlisted, because the amount of time it takes, (at least 4 -6 weeks), is enough time to get my new number onto just about every scammer's database in the world, (in fact, I think it would probably be there within 24 hours).

Thanks for reading. Replies are most welcome.
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: User Facilities VoIP Config Screen

Post by KavindaS » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:43 pm

csouter wrote:Hi everyone,

Question #1:

In the section highlighted with a red rectangle (caller ID), the annotation underneath the two radio buttons says:

If the "Yes" radio button is selected, exactly which Caller ID is displayed: INCOMING or OUTGOING?
Hi,
Answer for the Question 1 is "Incoming" . For the question 2, I will further discuss with the relevant department and update you.

csouter

Post by csouter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:46 pm

KavindaS wrote:
csouter wrote:Hi everyone,

Question #1:

Hi,
Answer for the Question 1 is "Incoming" . For the question 2, I will further discuss with the relevant department and update you.
Many thanks. I look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

nicoler
Exetel Staff

Post by nicoler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:09 am

Question #2:

When ordering a new VoIP number, there appears to be no option to have the number unlisted, (i.e, "Silent" or "Private").

I seem to remember, in the dim, distant past, when I first applied to port my unlisted Telstra-supplied home phone number to Exetel VoIP, that there was an option to specify whether or not the number was to be listed, and I specified that the number should be unlisted. (This application was in connection with changing my service from Exetel/Telstra ADSL2+ to the now-discontinued Exetel/Optus Naked DSL. I now have the Exetel FTTH service, still using the same VoIP number on ExeFone VoIP).

Unfortunately, once the Naked DSL service was all up and running, I discovered that my new Exetel/Optus service had actually become a listed number! It took about 6 weeks to get the number unlisted again, and I had to put the number on the DNCR, (Do Not Call Register), for all the good that seems to have done. It seems that the problem was caused by a careless Optus employee, and, it took a very long time to reverse the effect of a SINGLE UNTICKED BOX!

I still receive nuisance calls, calls from charities, political parties and various scammers, most of which I am powerless to stop, as many of the calls are anonymous.

I have looked at ordering a new number from my Member Facilities, but there is no option to specify that the number should be kept private.

Also, the "Terms and Conditions" to which I am compelled to agree now include a $300.00 bond, to be debited automatically from my credit card. All this, because I want my new number to be TRULY SILENT.

Furthermore, I checked the Exetel website (without logging into my account), and I found that Exetel does not offer stand-alone VoIP accounts, only ExeFone VoIP associated with an Exetel ADSL or Fibre service; and now, I can't remember whether the unlisted option was available when I ordered my Fibre service. I certainly don't want to go through a whole "dummy" application, just to find out such a small detail.

Can anyone advise me how to request that a new VoIP number is to be unlisted? I just don't want to go through all the hassles of getting a new number that turns out not to be unlisted, because the amount of time it takes, (at least 4 -6 weeks), is enough time to get my new number onto just about every scammer's database in the world, (in fact, I think it would probably be there within 24 hours).

Thanks for reading. Replies are most welcome.
Hi

Please be advised that the virtual VOIP numbers available on the members portal are unlisted numbers.

csouter

Post by csouter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:52 pm

nicoler wrote:
Question #2:

Hi

Please be advised that the virtual VOIP numbers available on the members portal are unlisted numbers.
Thank you for this most welcome information!

Could you also please check with the relevant department whether or not I still have to pay a new $300.00 bond, (as per the Service Agreement)?

Please, could you also advise the relevant department that I am one of Exetel's oldest continuous customers, since April, 2004, and I have never had any problems paying my phone bills?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

nicoler
Exetel Staff

Post by nicoler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Could you also please check with the relevant department whether or not I still have to pay a new $300.00 bond, (as per the Service Agreement)?

Please, could you also advise the relevant department that I am one of Exetel's oldest continuous customers, since April, 2004, and I have never had any problems paying my phone bills?
Hi
Please be advised that the $300 charge will only apply for a standalone VOIP service. However, since you have an active fibre and a mobile service with Exetel currently the $300 bond will not apply.

csouter

Post by csouter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:06 pm

nicoler wrote:

Hi
Please be advised that the $300 charge will only apply for a standalone VOIP service. However, since you have an active fibre and a mobile service with Exetel currently the $300 bond will not apply.
Many thanks for that most welcome information! :D

Thank you for all your help! :D
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)