Activation did NOT happen!

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
doggy

Activation did NOT happen!

Post by doggy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:26 pm

My activation was supposed to be today. I had received the official notification (as well as the unofficial one earlier).

So, I spent all day at the house waiting for the phone line to stop working and for the ADSL2+ connection (both from Exetel) to stop working. I also changed DNS server entries and enabled my backup 3G (also Exetel) so that various servers would still be contactable when IPs changed.

But, activation did not happen. The only thing that happened around 1340 was that DSL sync disappeared for one minute but then came back and has been there since. Losing DSL in the day is extremely rare so it was either chance or someone was doing something at the pillar and mucked it up.

So, what happens now? Is it likely to happen tomorrow? Or is it delayed until the NBN contractors have enough jumpering to do on the pillar box to come out again?

Very disappointing. I know it is not Exetel's fault; I have every confidence they contacted their provider etc but whoever was supposed to do the work has either jumpered the wrong pair or not turned up.

Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Activation did NOT happen!

Post by KavindaS » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:20 pm

doggy wrote:My activation was supposed to be today. I had received the official notification (as well as the unofficial one earlier).

So, I spent all day at the house waiting for the phone line to stop working and for the ADSL2+ connection (both from Exetel) to stop working. I also changed DNS server entries and enabled my backup 3G (also Exetel) so that various servers would still be contactable when IPs changed.

But, activation did not happen. The only thing that happened around 1340 was that DSL sync disappeared for one minute but then came back and has been there since. Losing DSL in the day is extremely rare so it was either chance or someone was doing something at the pillar and mucked it up.

So, what happens now? Is it likely to happen tomorrow? Or is it delayed until the NBN contractors have enough jumpering to do on the pillar box to come out again?

Very disappointing. I know it is not Exetel's fault; I have every confidence they contacted their provider etc but whoever was supposed to do the work has either jumpered the wrong pair or not turned up.

Dave
As you have stated, appointment was scheduled for today and still I could see the service is pending as in systems. However I cannot check further on this now as the supplier provisioning team is not available. Therefore I have emailed this to our provisioning department to check and update you as the first thing tomorrow.

anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Post by anurangaf » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:08 am

doggy wrote:My activation was supposed to be today. I had received the official notification (as well as the unofficial one earlier).

Dave
Please be advised that our wholesale supplier confirmed today morning that service is now completed. We have activated your service now and sent you the confirmation email with the login details.

If there's any further issues please don't hesitate to contact us.

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:42 am

Hi,
This is INCORRECT.There is still dialtone on the line, still 50volts DC on the line, still ADSL2 sync on the line and NO VDSL sync on the line.

So, NBN must have jumpered the wrong pair in the pillar?

I cannot see that my previous (Exetel) ADSL2+ service plus (Exetel) phone line would still be working otherwise.

Please advise ASAP.

David

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Hello Exetel.
Any news on this?
Any timeframe for NBN to fix it?
Regards,
David

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:36 pm

doggy wrote:Hello Exetel.
Any news on this?
Regards,
David
Currently I am working on this with the provisioning team. I will update you as soon as I get an update.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:07 pm

KavindaS wrote:
doggy wrote:Hello Exetel.
Any news on this?
Regards,
David
Currently I am working on this with the provisioning team. I will update you as soon as I get an update.
I have received the confirmation from the supplier provisioning, stating the service activation process is successfully completed. As you said there could be a conflict as I see the ADSL is still online. Therefore I have arranged an engineer to contact you, as we need to check the internal configuration before moving ahead with the service issue escalation.

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Have done a test with Exetel, hooking the VDSL2+ modem to the line. They can see no VDSL. There is no sync.

Likewise they can see the original ADSL2+ service is still functioning.

Of course, I can also see the ADSL2+ functioning just as in years past, with the same attenuation and same SNR margin as always plus there is 50 volts on the line and the POTS phone still works. So of course NBN has jumpered the wrong pair in the pillar and I am connected to the exchange just as before my "activation".

I have been here 11 years and in that time there have been a number of faults in the copper between my house and the pillar. On at least three occasions I know that Optus technicians have had to use spare pairs in the house lead-in as well as the old cables running on the poles down the street to the pillar.

So, presumably the cable records are out of date and/or wrong.

Hopefully the NBN or Telstra people can find my pair in the pillar, jumper it properly and also update the records!

At the moment, my NBN/FTTN service will be going to an inoperative pair or worst case, some other person will have been disconnected from POTS and ADSL and have my VDSL line but it will be of no use to them.

Regds,
Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:11 pm

doggy wrote:
Hopefully the NBN or Telstra people can find my pair in the pillar, jumper it properly and also update the records!

Regds,
Dave
We are following up this and after the phone conversation, with all the comments service issue have already logged with the supplier under the ref#10904543. In past incidents similar issues have rectified by fixing a programming issue. Therefore kindly wait for our update on your mobile phone. We appreciate your patience and apologies for the inconvenience may have caused by this.

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks Kavinda.

Actually, a short while ago I got an SMS saying the "ADSL issue is fixed". However I assume that is some automated SMS which is not correct and therefore I have ignored it.

Regards,
Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:47 pm

doggy wrote:Thanks Kavinda.

Actually, a short while ago I got an SMS saying the "ADSL issue is fixed". However I assume that is some automated SMS which is not correct and therefore I have ignored it.

Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,
Please ignore it as it is not relevant to the ongoing reported service issue.

doggy

Post by doggy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:11 am

Hi,
I have checked my notes and about 5 years ago, the Optus technicians (responding to a no-phone/no-ADSL problem) changed the house lead-in from the original Primary Pair (white/blue) to the Secondary pair (red/black) because the primary pair back to the pillar was defective.

Earlier this year (2016), Optus technicians (responding to a same/similar fault), after climbing six poles in my street, also made a change to some spare pair in the street wiring, back to the pillar. There have been other faults in the Copper fixed in the past 11 years but these two are probably the most significant from a Cable Records perspective.

I just had a look and the cable to the house (which continues to work with the phone/ADSL2+) and confirm it is still on the Secondary red/black pair.

I am surprised that when they supposedly activated my service last week that they did not check for dialtone or ADSL or both on what they thought was my pair from the Xch. On the other hand, if they did not have the fixed line number [because apparently Telstra blacked out all the phone numbers in the records handed to the NBN!], maybe what they activated was someone else's line which did have dialtone and ADSL?

Please note, as updated on the current fault number, I am happy for my PSTN phone number to be supplied to the techs in case they want to ring it for test and identification purposes in the pillar. I do not mind a number of such calls, particularly if they lead to a speedy fix.

Regards,
Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:13 pm

doggy wrote:Hi,

Please note, as updated on the current fault number, I am happy for my PSTN phone number to be supplied to the techs in case they want to ring it for test and identification purposes in the pillar. I do not mind a number of such calls, particularly if they lead to a speedy fix.

Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Still we haven't received detailed information from the supplier. Currently they have escalated the issue internally with their access provider and therefore we expect to have a speedy update on this. We will let you know as soon as we receive an update.

doggy

Post by doggy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:16 pm

This saga is dragging on and becoming even more unbelievable.

At the heart of the problem is the Supplier, one step removed from Exetel.

So, Exetel called again today (and I called back) basically to again connect the Exetel supplied modem to the line and see what happened. They said that yet again their supplier says there is no problem and that the activation was performed OK. I say "Rubbish" not to Exetel but to their supplier!

Basically, nothing has changed.

Netcomm modem will not sync with VDSL, even after 20 minutes.
There is still 50volts, dialtone and the original Exetel ADSL2+ sync on the line and the landline still works.
A second VDSL modem also does exactly the same.
Both VDSL modems will only sync with ADSL2 (6,900kbps) to the line, as for the past 10yrs, with the same attenuation/SNR as always.
When syncing ADSL2, the VDSL modems will not authenticate to the new NBN Exetel service but only to the original ADSL2 Exetel service.

Conclusion? Same as always. My line is still connected to the Exchange DSLAM and NOT to the Node. On Monday, Exetel confirmed that they can still see my active (old) ADSL connection operating but nothing for the other one.

I have agreed to leave the VDSL modem connected all of tomorrow and I hope that finally something might happen.

My understanding is that there should be no POTS passthrough and no passthrough of the old ADSL2+ service but someone correct me if that is wrong. I understand that the Node is CAPABLE of passing through the POTS service but that this is not enabled except in very special circumstances.

Regds,
Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:06 pm

doggy wrote:
I have agreed to leave the VDSL modem connected all of tomorrow and I hope that finally something might happen.

My understanding is that there should be no POTS passthrough and no passthrough of the old ADSL2+ service but someone correct me if that is wrong. I understand that the Node is CAPABLE of passing through the POTS service but that this is not enabled except in very special circumstances.

Regds,
Dave
Hi Dave,
What you have mentioned is crystal clear during the phone conversation and we have requested the supplier an immediate action with the given details. We will notify you as soon as there is an update. Your service issue ref# 10904543