ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
Post Reply
Sorak
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:35 pm

ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by Sorak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:30 am

Hi,

I have been on the NBN (FTTN) for a couple of weeks now and for the most part I am very happy with the experience. I am getting good speeds consistent with my connection and seems quite stable as well. Thanks Exetel!

The issue I am experiencing however, is whenever I use BitTorrent and VPN (PIA) together the modem constantly slows down and then loses it's connection. Using the VPN or BitTorrent on their own works fine.

I have tried a TP-Link Archer VR600 which works fine with no issues at all, however it does not support VOIP so it is not an option for me.

Is this a shortcoming of the ZTE modem or do I have a a faulty modem?
If it is not faulty I'll probably go and buy a FritzBox 7490.

Cheers,
Paul.
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by KavindaS » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 am

Sorak wrote:Hi,

I have been on the NBN (FTTN) for a couple of weeks now and for the most part I am very happy with the experience. I am getting good speeds consistent with my connection and seems quite stable as well. Thanks Exetel!

The issue I am experiencing however, is whenever I use BitTorrent and VPN (PIA) together the modem constantly slows down and then loses it's connection. Using the VPN or BitTorrent on their own works fine.

I have tried a TP-Link Archer VR600 which works fine with no issues at all, however it does not support VOIP so it is not an option for me.

Is this a shortcoming of the ZTE modem or do I have a a faulty modem?
If it is not faulty I'll probably go and buy a FritzBox 7490.

Cheers,
Paul.
Hi Paul,

Just in case before escalating with ZTE, can you try with a factory reset to the router and re connect? We need to make sure some additional config is not interfering in this.

Sorak
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by Sorak » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Thank you for your response.

I did a factory reset this morning and then only changed the username and password.

On testing, the problem is still there.

When using VPN and BitTorrent, it lasts about 5 minutes at the most before it stalls and all the modem lights go out except for the power light.

I can't even log in to the modem from my PC at this time.

Thanks for your help,
Paul.
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by KavindaS » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:08 am

Sorak wrote:Thank you for your response.

I did a factory reset this morning and then only changed the username and password.

On testing, the problem is still there.

When using VPN and BitTorrent, it lasts about 5 minutes at the most before it stalls and all the modem lights go out except for the power light.

I can't even log in to the modem from my PC at this time.

Thanks for your help,
Paul.
Hi Paul,

I will further escalate this with ZTE support and update you as soon as they have updated me.

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6002
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by Dazzled » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:03 am

t feels like a gateway problem, and possibly UPnP. You'd need to be in the router Linux OS in telnet to see when the VPN is getting into error and shutting.

Before you burn it, take a look at your torrent settings. It's a black art. No guarantees, but try adjusting download rate, max connections and peers connected per torrent. (Start about 500 kB/s, and the others about 20, and experiment).

jimdigris
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:53 am
Location: Dungog

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by jimdigris » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 am

for the record MY ZTE did exactly this every time I tried to use my VPN (Nord at the time). I couldnt work out why, so tried a different VPN (Ivacy) and it has not done it once!

Sorak
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by Sorak » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks guys for your responses.

When this happens I can't communicate with the modem at all so I'm not sure if telnetting in would help. Also I don't feel that I should have to dedicate time to fiddling with bit torrent settings to baby hardware that should just work.

I have now bought a TP-LINK VR200v. I couldn't be happier! I am getting full speed internet, no dropouts, VOIP works, and bit torrent works with VPN perfectly without crashing the modem. The modem was cheap too ~$139.

Cheers,
Paul.
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing

bradmanfx
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: nsw

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by bradmanfx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:56 pm

I had a massive problem with torrents, vuse and utorrent after NBN with Exetel and the new router.
Kept disconnecting after 5 mins.
Lots of work but....

I use uTorrent 2.2.1

and the setting that work now if i can attack pics.

3 max per post so it will take a few posts
Attachments
3.png
3.png (224.54 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
2.png
2.png (232.09 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
1.png
1.png (222.83 KiB) Viewed 6996 times

bradmanfx
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: nsw

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by bradmanfx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:58 pm

continuing the reply post for utorrent problems with ZTE router nbn
Attachments
6.png
6.png (223.88 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
5.png
5.png (227.68 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
4.png
4.png (227.31 KiB) Viewed 6996 times

bradmanfx
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: nsw

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by bradmanfx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:01 pm

again. 3 more settings pic./
Attachments
9.png
9.png (226.52 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
8.png
8.png (222.68 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
7.png
7.png (224.33 KiB) Viewed 6995 times

bradmanfx
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: nsw

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by bradmanfx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:02 pm

4th post... the settings for 'advanced' are the main ones and i haven't got to them yet
Attachments
12.png
12.png (230.94 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
11.png
11.png (226.3 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
10.png
10.png (226.55 KiB) Viewed 6995 times

bradmanfx
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: nsw

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by bradmanfx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:04 pm

hopefully this will finish my replies.

took me a month to find right settings. i nearly was tempted to break my 18 month contract and go elsewhere.

but torrents work fine with extel zte NBN on thse settings.

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 pm

bradmanfx wrote:hopefully this will finish my replies.

took me a month to find right settings. i nearly was tempted to break my 18 month contract and go elsewhere.

but torrents work fine with extel zte NBN on thse settings.
Thank you for sharing these useful information for our many customers. I have escalated few times with ZTE support and didn't receive many supportive information than what you have attached here. If I have mistakenly deleted few attachments here, could you be please kind enough to attach them back? :?

bradmanfx
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: nsw

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by bradmanfx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:49 pm

There should be 15 pics.

3x5 posts, i guess.

Most changes were to the 'advanced' section.

Be careful not to download copyright issues.

Under Australian Law you need to have an original copy of a CD or DVD to have a backup copy.

I used to buy Lps, then have to buy a cassette, then a decade or so ago, have to buy another CD.
Now i just get 1 copy and tend to get backup versions.

good luck.

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ZTE Modem drops out when using torrent and VPN

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:14 pm

bradmanfx wrote:There should be 15 pics.

3x5 posts, i guess.

Most changes were to the 'advanced' section.

Be careful not to download copyright issues.

Under Australian Law you need to have an original copy of a CD or DVD to have a backup copy.

I used to buy Lps, then have to buy a cassette, then a decade or so ago, have to buy another CD.
Now i just get 1 copy and tend to get backup versions.

good luck.
Thank you and appreciate the information that you have shared to helpful with other customers. :)

Post Reply