12hours+ - Ongoing vaguely defined ADSL outage

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
WillM

12hours+ - Ongoing vaguely defined ADSL outage

Post by WillM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:52 am

How about some updates on the outage described here - https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=296&t=43687

Some idea of the problem and what's happening would be nice.

Is Exetel getting updates from Optus? Could they be shared with us or perhaps just an update each hour or couple of hours on progress being made?

How widespread is the issue?

BillV

Re: 12hours+ - Ongoing vaguely defined ADSL outage

Post by BillV » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 am

What a crap service
What I'd like to know is,
Where is their backup feed and why it isn't working?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 am

"It looks like a routing issue on Optus end, as our LNSs could not reach Optus LACs. Latest update from Optus shows that they don’t know/couldn’t find where the issue is. They are saying the issue is on our LNS routers. But our LNS routers are terminating Tesltra, AAPT and majority of the Optus services without any issues, there are about 11 LACs from Optus being affected.

I have just found a temporary fix by pushing the traffic to the affected LACs through the backup link, it seems to be working."

WillM

Post by WillM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks for the extra information and for restoring service.

I worry that perhaps this could have been resolved sooner if the right people had been paged out at the start or had been monitoring the situation but I guess we have to leave the post incident work to you as well.

That kind of detail about the issues being experienced reminds me of what we used to see from Exetel years ago. The candour is refreshing.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:14 pm

WillM wrote:Thanks for the extra information and for restoring service.

I worry that perhaps this could have been resolved sooner if the right people had been paged out at the start or had been monitoring the situation but I guess we have to leave the post incident work to you as well.

That kind of detail about the issues being experienced reminds me of what we used to see from Exetel years ago. The candour is refreshing.

I would like to apologise to you on behalf of Exetel for any inconvenience you may have experienced with relation to this matter. We have been closely monitoring and escalating with our Level 3 network engineers and Optus network engineers yesterday from the initial stage. Unfortunately we didn't receive updates sooner than the expected times, since the issue is bit of an uncommon one and taking time to investigate. Root cause of the service issue is still being investigated from Optus and we will update the https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=296&t=43687 accordingly.