Notice: Missing info in VOiP configuration information

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Franpa

Notice: Missing info in VOiP configuration information

Post by Franpa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:30 pm

An important detail is missing from the "VOiP configuration has been reset" email, the attached image should explain the problem.

I am using the Exetel supplied ZTE modem.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (66.08 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Notice: Missing info in VOiP configuration information

Post by Dazzled » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:10 pm

URLs cannot contain an unencoded space. What happens if you use 58.96.1.2 in the field?

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Dazzled wrote:URLs cannot contain an unencoded space. What happens if you use 58.96.1.2 in the field?
That also requires a trailing space otherwise the Status page will list the phone as Unregistered. Perhaps the need for a trailing space is a bug in the ZTE modem firmware?
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Post by AroshJ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Franpa wrote:
Dazzled wrote:URLs cannot contain an unencoded space. What happens if you use 58.96.1.2 in the field?
That also requires a trailing space otherwise the Status page will list the phone as Unregistered. Perhaps the need for a trailing space is a bug in the ZTE modem firmware?
There is no recent complaint received similar to what you have explained. Also, many other customers are using the same device with same firmware version without aforesaid change in SIP server value. Are you able to replicate the same issue by doing a fresh configuration after a factory reset ?

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 pm

This is after a factory reset. I had to perform the reset because I had forgotten the credentials for logging into the modem to set up the new internet & VOiP configuration (after moving house).

AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Post by AroshJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Franpa wrote:An important detail is missing from the "VOiP configuration has been reset" email, the attached image should explain the problem.

I am using the Exetel supplied ZTE modem.
As you can see you have used "sip1.exetel.com.au" value on "SIP Account" field which is incorrect. As per the guidelines provided on below link this field should be filled with your service number and we do this as a standard practice. Also, the "SIP Account" field does not have any impact on the registration and due to the special format in the value you used (sip1.exete.com.au), it may have caused an issue in the firmware resulting a failure of registration. For correct configuration procedure please refer below.

Guidelines : http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... _ZTE_H268A

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm

From the information I was provided with, it was unclear what to put in the top 2 boxes. I tried configuring SIP Account 1 by putting the Username details in to the SIP Account box and SIP Server Proxy in to the Authorization Username box. I then configured the SIP Account 2 with the details the other way around and watched which would register.

Sip Account 1
SIP Account = Username details
Authorization Username = SIP Server (Proxy) Address
Password = Password details

Sip Account 2
SIP Account = SIP Server (Proxy) Address
Authorization Username = Username details

In both cases the phone service wouldn't register. With the phone connected to the 2nd Phone Port on the Modem I could make outgoing calls but nobody could call the home phone (no incoming call capability).

I contacted Exetel about this and after a couple phone calls and them apparently remotely connecting to the modem and checking the configuration details themselves, we could finally receive phone calls. Upon my own inspection of the details after all of this had happened (I was curious about what the correct configuration looked like) I noticed the trailing space in the SIP Account box, I do not recall if I or Exetel staff eventually put the trailing space there.

I proceeded to experiment and noticed the phone will de-register if the trailing space is removed.

Now you're linking me to some (easier to understand) documentation that was never emailed to me.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (19.83 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Post by AroshJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Franpa wrote:From the information I was provided with, it was unclear what to put in the top 2 boxes. I tried configuring SIP Account 1 by putting the Username details in to the SIP Account box and SIP Server Proxy in to the Authorization Username box. I then configured the SIP Account 2 with the details the other way around and watched which would register.

Sip Account 1
SIP Account = Username details
Authorization Username = SIP Server (Proxy) Address

Sip Account 2
SIP Account = SIP Server (Proxy) Address
Authorization Username = Username details

In both cases the phone service wouldn't register. With the phone connected to the 2nd Phone Port on the Modem I could make outgoing calls but nobody could call the home phone (no incoming call capability).

I contacted Exetel about this and after a couple phone calls and them apparently remotely connecting to the modem and checking the configuration details themselves, we could finally receive phone calls. Upon my own inspection of the details after all of this had happened (I was curious about what the correct configuration looked like) I noticed the trailing space in the SIP Account box, I do not recall if I or Exetel staff eventually put the trailing space there.

I proceeded to experiment and noticed the phone will de-register if the trailing space is removed.

Now you're linking me to some (easier to understand) documentation that was never emailed to me.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you by this and kindly refer the given document for VoIP configuration in future. Feel free to contact Exetel for any further assistance.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Yeah so if I instead duplicate the VOiP phone number in to the SIP Account box than no trailing space is required.