Voip registration from OS IP address

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
ocular

Voip registration from OS IP address

Post by ocular » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Can some one please update me with what I have to do if I take an exetel voip number overseas on my mobile phone and want it to work via a voip app please.

I remember at one stage individual application was required.
Thanks

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Voip registration from OS IP address

Post by KavindaS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Application "Moip" is no longer available with Exetel. However, if you need to have the voip registered and working with a non Exetel IP address, we need to enable the Voip roaming facility under the service. In order to enable this, you need to send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au from your account nominated email address. Once we have the acknowledgement from you to the terms and conditions, we will get the developing team to enable this.

ocular

Post by ocular » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:53 pm

The Voip number in question is currently registered and working from a non-exetel IP here in Australia. Does that mean that it will work from a non Australian IP without further changes?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:02 am

If you do arrange for the account to be enabled from abroad, check your usage frequently. There is an industry stealing VOIP login credentials for illicit use from some other countries, and you could run up a large bill unknowingly.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:25 am

ocular wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:53 pm
The Voip number in question is currently registered and working from a non-exetel IP here in Australia. Does that mean that it will work from a non Australian IP without further changes?
What Dazzled have explained is the exact terms and conditions, which I have informed about the acknowledgement we need to proceed from your email. Using the current VOIP service with a non Exetel IP, doesn't mean it will work with an overseas connection IP. Therefore, when you send the email with the confirmation and the acknowledgement, we will have to check and provide permission under all IP condition.

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Hmmm...

I was about to ask a question here about setting up VoIP on an MIUI phone using the built in client and then taking this OS for holidays. BUT now you've got me rethinking. If there is a chance that my credentials could be stolen and I end up with a large bill then I don't want it at all.

How often are VoIP credentials being hacked? Is it really a serious threat?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:55 am

It is a serious problem to watch for. I know of a case where a traveller was caught out after 3 days staying at different hotels in Japan using a wireless tablet. The account was hijacked and in a couple of days ran up a huge number of mobile phone calls to and from different Middle-Eastern numbers on the other side of the world. The perpetrator probably ran a business diverting calls.

It is trivial to detect a connection on VOIP registration ports and to eavesdrop on the login. That makes it essential to keep track of your usage, and be ready to change the configuration.

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:20 am

Then that's a risk not worth taking. I'll stick to Hangouts and SMS through PushBullet.

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:05 am

Just received an email saying that Exetel is implementing a new VoIP Platform viewtopic.php?f=296&t=44273.

Does this mean that VoIP on mobile while OS will be more hack proof?

rehanj
Exetel Staff

Post by rehanj » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Aaphid wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:05 am
Just received an email saying that Exetel is implementing a new VoIP Platform viewtopic.php?f=296&t=44273.

Does this mean that VoIP on mobile while OS will be more hack proof?
Thanks for reaching out to us. I have escalated your query to the Exetel SysAdmins, and will let you know once an update is made available to us regarding this matter.