Used to be good

Comments and posts about your experience with Exetel
Dr.Gerry

Used to be good

Post by Dr.Gerry » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:28 pm

I first connected to Exetel in 2014. At the time I was really impressed with their service. I live in a small town and we got the NBN (wireless) way back then, so I have been pretty lucky, internet-wise. We always got good download speeds - it was rare to get anything below 40Mb (once we moved to the 50Mb fixed wireless plan). We could have every member of the family (4) either streaming something or playing online gaming and it worked for all of us. I used to tell anyone who asked me that at least in my experience, Exetel was one of the hidden gems of the NBN.

Sadly, that has all changed. The speed has dropped off so badly that at peak times, 2 Mb is a pretty good speed. During the day, it's not much better - on a 50Mb plan you would expect to get at least 40Mb, but we struggle to get over 15. I have sent an email to Exetel support just asking them to check that somehow I hadn't been 'accidentally' dropped back to a 25Mb service. I received no reply.

To add insult to injury, Exetel seem happy to screw their current customers. There's an offer on the front page at the moment - unlimited 50Mb (the SAME as the plan I am on) for $59 per month. So anyone can walk in off the street and get a better deal than someone who has been a loyal customer for a number of years. I emailed Exetel about this one, and they said that even though it is the same plan, I can't get it because I qualify for special regional pricing, apparently! Yay! Lucky me - I live in a regional area so I get the sucker price of $20 more per month.

Most people would ask why I haven't changed providers, well, I currently have a couple of browser tabs open comparing other providers. Personally I'd be happier if Exetel just fixed my service and gave me what I pay for. I'm pretty certain that given the bureaucratic blundering that sometimes happens at the NBN Office, changing providers might just be a one way ticket to internet perjury.....so I have been giving Exetel '1 more chance' for quite a long time now, but that time is nearly up.

Dhilshan
Exetel Staff

Re: Used to be good

Post by Dhilshan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that the service is not meeting your expectation. We would like to review your case further and provide a quick solution. Therefore, could you please drop an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au or PM your service details so we can check the status of this query.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Used to be good

Post by James » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Dear Gerry,

I'm sorry you are having speed issues, but this is a known issue with many wireless NBN services, and not something that Exetel nor any other NBN customer can fix. NBN though have committed to fixing most of these issues by September this year; https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... congestion

In terms of the price, in regional Australia it costs Exetel more to get connectivity from your local Point of Interconnect (POI), back to our network, so in some regional areas the price is $20.00 more than in metro areas.

James