Static Route option missing in H268A

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
andrewb2000

Static Route option missing in H268A

Post by andrewb2000 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi,

I am trying to add a static route in my ZTE H268A but it doesn't have the option available as per the manual's directions. I go to Local Network > Routing > IPv4 and look for "Static Routing" but the option isn't there. I have "Policy Routing" in my H268A instead which isn't in the manual.

I am using this manual:
http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/images/3/3 ... ch2017.pdf

Section "5.3.1 Configure the Routing(IPv4)" > Static Routing is what I am trying to do.

Here is a print screen of what I do see in my modem. As you can see there is no Static Routing section.
ZTE H268A static routing missing.png
ZTE H268A static routing missing.png (46.33 KiB) Viewed 702 times
Can you please let me know how I should get the Static Routing option? Or, if I should be using a Routing Policy to achieve a static route can you please provide the manual or some instructions for this?

Thanks heaps.

Dushyanthan
Exetel Staff

Re: Static Route option missing in H268A

Post by Dushyanthan » Thu May 02, 2019 11:17 pm

We will further check with our modem manufacturer regards to your query and will update you as soon as possible.

Dushyanthan
Exetel Staff

Post by Dushyanthan » Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 pm

Dushyanthan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:17 pm
We will further check with our modem manufacturer regards to your query and will update you as soon as possible.
We have sent you an email to the nominated email address with the requested information. Kindly refer to that. Reference number for this ticket is 14962922.

andrewb2000

Post by andrewb2000 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks for getting back to me directly on this. Appreciate you reaching out to the vendor to get more information. Have you heard anything back from them? I've sent a few direct follow-up emails but haven't heard anything back yet.

Dushyanthan
Exetel Staff

Post by Dushyanthan » Sat May 25, 2019 9:24 pm

andrewb2000 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm
Thanks for getting back to me directly on this. Appreciate you reaching out to the vendor to get more information. Have you heard anything back from them? I've sent a few direct follow-up emails but haven't heard anything back yet.
Firstly I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of Exetel for any inconvenience caused to you with this regard and for the delay in getting back to you. We have replied to the email which you sent us. Kindly go through with the email and update us.

thunter0512

Post by thunter0512 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:11 am

Could you please share what the solution to the missing Static Route options is?
Thanks
Tom

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm

thunter0512 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:11 am
Could you please share what the solution to the missing Static Route options is?
Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom,

Based on the ZTE confirmation received before, static route option should be available with the next firmware and still there is not estimated time of release for that.

leesa

Post by leesa » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I've been waiting for the new firmware too and as it's now out I have installed it so I thought I'd share some info on it.
Static routing has been added but not in a way that's useful unfortunately.

Under Local Network -> Routing there's a new option called Static Routing.
There are fields to add the subnet, mask and next-hop IP but there's also unfortunately a drop-down menu that specifies WAN connection. No idea why. It lists all of the WAN interfaces and you can't submit the form without picking one. If you pick one and hope that it doesn't actually matter and that the route will just go to your next-hop address anyway, unfortunately that's not the case. It still tries to reach your subnet out the WAN instead of the LAN.

There is a way around it which I came here to share because I'm sure others have been waiting for static route functionality.

If you inspect the HTML of the page you'll see the form that's used to add the route. When you submit the form your browser will send a POST back to the modem with some relevant fields:
IF_ACTION=Apply&_InstID=DEV.ROUTING.RT1.IPV4FWD4&DestIP=192.168.30.0&DestIPMask=255.255.255.0&GWIP=192.168.100.2&Type=Network&Enable=1&Alias=cisco&Interface=DEV.IP.IF2&_sessionTOKEN=123456789
If you manually modify the Interface parameter to "DEV.IP.IF1" (instead of 2) and POST it back to the modem, a new route will appear in the routing table via the LAN interface. IF1 must refer to LAN even though the option isn't available in the drop-down list. Fill in all your other relevant fields of course.

Give it a try. I'm currently running the ZTE H268A with a static route back to my LAN.
Now I'm going to have to firewall between my router and the ZTE because I have some concerns about its security, seeing as its input validation is a little insufficient but it is what it is. :)

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 pm

leesa wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 pm
I've been waiting for the new firmware too and as it's now out I have installed it so I thought I'd share some info on it.
Thank you for sharing this valuable information of static route option for the ZTE modem users with the latest firmware.

thunter0512

Post by thunter0512 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you leesa for working out a solution for the latest firmware.
Could you please explain how to "manually modify the Interface parameter to "DEV.IP.IF1" (instead of 2) and POST it back to the modem".
This might be obvious for others, but not to me.
Thanks
Tom

leesa

Post by leesa » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 pm

thunter0512 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Thank you leesa for working out a solution for the latest firmware.
Could you please explain how to "manually modify the Interface parameter to "DEV.IP.IF1" (instead of 2) and POST it back to the modem".
This might be obvious for others, but not to me.
Thanks
Tom
The instructions were more geared towards tech users who know where to find it, but if you want to have a go the easiest way to do it is probably via the developer options in whichever browser you use. If you use another browser you'll need to adapt the instructions to whatever you're using but an inspector is usually called an inspector. Don't bother in Internet Explorer.

If you use firefox, go to the page where the new routing table section is and fill in your route name/network address/mask/gateway as expected.
Then right click the drop-down menu option and click inspect, the site's html will display. each of the options in the drop down will have an <option> tag with a value="" parameter. Pick one, we'll just say the last one, and edit the DEV.IP.IF5 in the inspector to say DEV.IP.IF1, you should just have to double click over the value to be able to edit the value. Don't bother any other characters except for that value, only the 5 needs to change to a 1.

Then go back to the modem GUI, pick the drop-down menu that you just edited.. in my example it was the last one... and click 'apply'.
refresh the page and you should see the route appear in the routing table with 'LAN' marked as Interface.

The modem shouldn't let you do this, but it does. Take from that what you will.

thunter0512

Post by thunter0512 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:53 am

Thank you leesa for the instructions which are easy enough to follow. I have not had any previous exposure to hacking web pages as you described. I agree with your sentiment that it reflects poorly on the modem that it does not validate the response - apart from the fact that you should be able to do this anyway without having to hack the web page.
In the meantime I have added a Linksys WRT1200AC running DD-WRT and use the H268A effectively just as a modem.
Thanks again
Tom