naked dsl

Old, inactive threads
tom666

naked dsl

Post by tom666 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:25 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/wireless--br ... 56893.html

Will exetel be likely to offer a naked DSL plan any time in the future? If so what will the pricing be like and will it be easy for someone currently bundling adsl2 and phone to move to it?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: naked dsl

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:48 am

tom666 wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/news/wireless--br ... 56893.html

Will exetel be likely to offer a naked DSL plan any time in the future? If so what will the pricing be like and will it be easy for someone currently bundling adsl2 and phone to move to it?
Exetel, like any ISP with a viable VoIP offering, would very much like to offer a residential DSL service that doesn't require the end user to pay for a telephone line used for voice calls.

At the moment we could do that via Optus but Optus make the cost of not using their telephone line very little different - so in almost all cases it's difficult to price a service that would be attractive.

This may change in the future but at the moment we can't find a way of delivering an ADSL service without a 'live' telephone line.

As an example; if we were to offer an ADSL2 service (with no live telephone line) at today's prices the end user charge would be:

Base service - $50.00 (no included downloads)
Gb downloads - $5.00 per gb

I don't think anyone would buy that service.

zforum69

Post by zforum69 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:47 am

ForumAdmin wrote:At the moment we could do that via Optus but Optus make the cost of not using their telephone line very little different - so in almost all cases it's difficult to price a service that would be attractive.
I wonder how Internode can make the business case stack up? They are planning to offer it to customers on both their (Agile) DSLAM's as well as Optus'.

Z

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:49 am

zforum69 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:At the moment we could do that via Optus but Optus make the cost of not using their telephone line very little different - so in almost all cases it's difficult to price a service that would be attractive.
I wonder how Internode can make the business case stack up? They are planning to offer it to customers on both their (Agile) DSLAM's as well as Optus'.

Z
Like iiNet, they must have negotiated a price with Telstra that is less than the price Optus and Powertel charge Exetel.

If they are offering it on Optus DSLAMs (as Engin have said they will do) then they have also negotiated a much better price with Optus than Exetel has been able to do.

Do you have any references for the Internode/Optus offering?

zforum69

Post by zforum69 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:01 am

ForumAdmin wrote:Do you have any references for the Internode/Optus offering?
This is the thread on whirlpool: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=790081
The information is quite reliable as many of the comments came straight from Simon Hackett.

Z

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:29 pm

zforum69 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Do you have any references for the Internode/Optus offering?
This is the thread on whirlpool: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=790081
The information is quite reliable as many of the comments came straight from Simon Hackett.

Z
Thank you.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14 pm

I'd be keen to see if Exetel could pull something like this off. I should really rephrase that considering we're talking about 'naked' ADSL :)

On a more serious note, the reason I'd be keen to see this happen is that my phone line is _only_ used for ADSL. Therefore, I'm paying extra for a service that personally I think is unnecessary.

I know it's going to take a while, but if you can let us know if/what progress you're making, let me know. And if you want someone with a PowerTel ADSL2+ connection to 'guinea pig' this on ... *takes ticket* ... ooh, number 1!

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:38 am

dogwomble wrote:I'd be keen to see if Exetel could pull something like this off. I should really rephrase that considering we're talking about 'naked' ADSL :)

On a more serious note, the reason I'd be keen to see this happen is that my phone line is _only_ used for ADSL. Therefore, I'm paying extra for a service that personally I think is unnecessary.

I know it's going to take a while, but if you can let us know if/what progress you're making, let me know. And if you want someone with a PowerTel ADSL2+ connection to 'guinea pig' this on ... *takes ticket* ... ooh, number 1!
We have asked both Optus and Powertel for new pricing for 'naked ADSL'.

No progress has been made with either supplier since we raised this issue

Omo

Post by Omo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Why are Optus even considering this in the first place. It would take alot of revenue away from them.

I would put money that Optus will probally only wholesale NakedDSL to a few providers
Odyssey Computers
http://www.odysseycomputers.com.au

Networking - Webhosting - Servers - ADSL - Onsite Computer Services

zforum69

Post by zforum69 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:29 pm

Omo wrote:Why are Optus even considering this in the first place. It would take alot of revenue away from them.
Yes this is the ongoing dilemma that any company with legacy infrastructure must face. Do they protect their existing revenue streams based on legacy infrastructure at the risk of missing the boat in the new world or risk cannibalising their existing revenue streams to make sure they are a player in the the new world.

iinet is already in trial, and Internode will soon be which includes the use of a 3rd party DSLAM infrastructure. Exetel has always been adaptable and flexible in the past so no doubt they are pressing the point very hard on their existing suppliers as indicated by FA.

There is a cost for Optus to maintain the telephony infrastructure. I would suggest that the cost for line rental also assumes there is some revenue for telephony charges as well. If more and more people incur minimal if not zero telephony charges, the business case for purchasing and maintaining the traditional telephone switching infrastructure may not be as attractive as increasing its wholesale revenue to support naked DSL. In other words Optus might not want to spend any more capital on the infrastructure that terminates the ULL, splits the voice and DSL frequencies, and terminates the voice frequencies into some sort of telephone switching infrastructure. All you need for naked DSL is to terminate the ULL into the DSLAM. Of course there must be some sort of structured cabling so you don't get into a situation like this: http://www.pablotron.org/gallery/misc/d ... _wires.jpg but you would still save a bit on capital.

I would also guess that the telephone infrastructure would be back hauled on 64k based circuits which have a lower utilisation and therefore higher cost in terms of required bandwidth provisioning than IP communications links.

Z

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Exetel hasn't "exerted any pressure" on either Powertel or Optus - I'm not sure how we could do that. We have simply asked a question which hasn't received any sort of positive answer.

We do continue to look for ways of providing broadband without needing a telephone line of any sort.