ADSL2+ Transmission Loss Too High. What now?

Old, inactive threads
snookums

ADSL2+ Transmission Loss Too High. What now?

Post by snookums » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:51 am

I'm in the process of moving house, and after applying for ADSL2+ (Optus) I got a rejection with "ADSL2 Transmission Lost Too High" (sic). I find this a little hard to fathom. The new unit is right next door to the old one. It is, however, in a different (older) strata development. Both come up as connected to the Haymarket exchange, but I believe the old place is on HMKT and the new one on HMKQ. Both places are less than 1.5km by road from the exchange location in Parker St. The old place has ADSL2+ and syncs at about 14 Mbps/800 kbps.

Can the wiring to the new place be so bad that a 1.5km connection can have too much transmission loss?

Is Telstra somehow screwing me because I chose HomeLine Budget when I connected the new phone (since I intended to transfer my line rental to Optus)?

Is there a way I can find out what Optus thinks my SQ parameters are (line length, bridge taps, and whatnot)?

The new number comes up as available for Powertel ADSL2+ using the tool at http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2.pl. If I can't get connected with Optus is it worth trying an application with Powertel? (I'd have to upgrade the connection from HomeLine Budget to HomeLine Complete to do this right?)

Old service number: 0292800505
New service number: 0292112524

Thanks for any advice.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:54 am

I would contact provisioning@exetel.com.au as your line looks fine to me;

CSN: 029211xxxx ESA: HAYMARKET Price Band: CBD/Metro
Total cable length: 1664 metres Huawai: Yes
Address:
xx
xx MOORGATE ST
CHIPPENDALE

snookums

Post by snookums » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks James. It seems you were right about the transmission loss -- that's not the real problem. The real reason is that I'm on a sub-exchange, so it looks like ADSL1 is the only option.

snookums

Post by snookums » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:54 pm

The plot thickens. A suggestion on the Whirlpool forums is that "Haymarket" is actually two exchanges, and that Optus might only have equipment attached to one.

This seems to be borne out by my telephone conversations with Internode and iiNet. Both see no indication of a sub exchange or RIM on my line. iiNet ran a lengthy set of tests to come to this conclusion.

Does iiNet's ability to connect me indicate that an Exetel connection via Powertel should be possible?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:00 pm

snookums wrote:The plot thickens. A suggestion on the Whirlpool forums is that "Haymarket" is actually two exchanges, and that Optus might only have equipment attached to one.

This seems to be borne out by my telephone conversations with Internode and iiNet. Both see no indication of a sub exchange or RIM on my line. iiNet ran a lengthy set of tests to come to this conclusion.

Does iiNet's ability to connect me indicate that an Exetel connection via Powertel should be possible?
There are two exchanges there.

If Iinet can connect you, you should apply for our ADSL2+ no telephone service.

snookums

Post by snookums » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:24 pm

I already asked Richard K from your provisioning department to submit my "service move" via Powertel instead of Optus. He says it can't be done because the Telstra system lists me as being on a sub exchange. I don't understand how your staff and the staff at Internode and iiNet can be getting different info on this.

I've always had good service with Exetel, and the prices are always the best (especially with my Pioneer Discount!). I don't want to change providers, but I've pretty much got my mouse hovering over the "submit" button on Internode's application form right now.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:37 pm

snookums wrote:I already asked Richard K from your provisioning department to submit my "service move" via Powertel instead of Optus. He says it can't be done because the Telstra system lists me as being on a sub exchange. I don't understand how your staff and the staff at Internode and iiNet can be getting different info on this.

I've always had good service with Exetel, and the prices are always the best (especially with my Pioneer Discount!). I don't want to change providers, but I've pretty much got my mouse hovering over the "submit" button on Internode's application form right now.
Richard is incorrect - please email provisioning again and ask them to resubmit your relocation for ADSL2+ no telephone.

I did an SQ on your number and it is fine.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:03 pm

What pioneer discount!?

snookums

Post by snookums » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Bundy wrote:What pioneer discount!?
It's a little sweetener that some of us Old Timers get for taking a chance on The Ex back in the day, and sticking with her through some of the rough patches. Search the forums for more info.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:29 pm

I shall, thanks. I've been here since the first churns.

richardk

Post by richardk » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Hello,

I have confirmed with the provisioning manager that it's not available on your service.

So we can't resubmit your application to Powertel.

Thank You