ADSL1 Transferring to ADSL2??

Old, inactive threads
moonlitedreamz

ADSL1 Transferring to ADSL2??

Post by moonlitedreamz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi, I was looking at the internet deals.

I am currently using 512/128 (or something) and with 12gb. and I am hoping to upgrade to a faster and maybe more GB allowance.

I know I should lookup more about these plans, but I'm not very good at gathering informations, so I was hoping if anyone can explain to me the difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2 (eg. the speed and the peak hrs?) and if I were to transfer to ADSL2 do I have to pay the activation fee and the connection? (my initial ADSL1 contract I believe has already expired) and any items of things I have to do to transfer to ADSL2?

thanks alot!

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: ADSL1 Transferring to ADSL2??

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:35 pm

moonlitedreamz wrote:Hi, I was looking at the internet deals.

I am currently using 512/128 (or something) and with 12gb. and I am hoping to upgrade to a faster and maybe more GB allowance.

I know I should lookup more about these plans, but I'm not very good at gathering informations, so I was hoping if anyone can explain to me the difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2 (eg. the speed and the peak hrs?) and if I were to transfer to ADSL2 do I have to pay the activation fee and the connection? (my initial ADSL1 contract I believe has already expired) and any items of things I have to do to transfer to ADSL2?

thanks alot!
The plans provide the same facilities and same download allowances in the paek and off peak periods.

The speed would be much faster and the prices are different.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 am

As ForumAdmin says, peak times remain the same, download allowances are similarly structured and speeds are highly likely to increase from the 512kbps you currently have.

When upgrading to ADSL2 the connection fee depends on whether you bundle phone through an Optus INCPHONE plan (currently nil activation charge) or if you retain your existing phone through a Powertel ANYPHONE plan (currently $88 activation). Also, the INCPHONE will incur minimal downtime (~2 hours) whereas an upgrade to the Powertel plan will incur up to a 14 day downtime.

You should get yourself an ADSL2+ compliant modem, but even with only an ADSL1 modem you can still get speeds of up to 8Mbps under an ADSL2+ plan.

moonlitedreamz

Post by moonlitedreamz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:48 pm

Well umm.. I am currently using Telstra home phone. So how much initials fees (installation + activation costs etc..) do I have to pay to get ADSL2?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:55 pm

Do you want to bundle your home phone with Exetel? You may be able to save a small monthly amount on line rental (bundled ADSL2 through Exetel reduces your phone line rental to $25.00 per month) and your phone call rates will probably be cheaper. You can view http://www.exetel.com.au/a_adsl2_wireline.php for call rates. If this is the case, are you on any contract for your home phone?

Or do you want to leave your phone with Telstra and just upgrade your internet to ADSL2+?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:09 pm

Short answer:
There are no physical installation costs involved but there may be an "activation" fee. Bottom line though it that you can upgrade to ADSL2+ for no upfront cost (by retaining your existing modem and bundling phone). The only price difference in this case will be the monthly ADSL2+ charges

Detailed answer:
Your existing modem should support speeds of up to 8Mbps, but if you wish to purchase a new modem you can get good all-in-one ADSL2+ modem/routers for around $70-100 and wireless models for around $100-$130.

Cheapest and least downtime path to upgrade would be to choose the INCPHONE plans. In these plans, the activation fee is waived as you are bundling your phone service through Exetel for $25.00 per month line rental (which is probably comparable or cheaper than what you currently pay). Also there is minimal downtime between ADSL and ADSL2+ (all up, your phone and ADSL service might be interrupted for a few hours).

If you wish to retain your phone service through Telstra, they you will want to choose one of the ANYPHONE plans. In these plans, the activation fee is $88 and you will have up to 2 weeks ADSL downtime while the service gets provisions. But your phone service will be retained and uninterrupted.

The prices for these plans are available at http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2.php. All plans have 48Gb of off-peak download quota which is unchanged from your existing plan (TELF?). You can choose which of the ADSL2+ plans best suits your needs and apply through Exetel's member services.

no1uno

Post by no1uno » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:05 pm

If you wish to retain your phone service through Telstra, they you will want to choose one of the ANYPHONE plans. In these plans, the activation fee is $88 and you will have up to 2 weeks ADSL downtime while the service gets provisions. But your phone service will be retained and uninterrupted.
Does this mean that an upgrade to ADSL2 could leave me without internet access for up to 2 weeks? :shock:

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:19 pm

no1uno wrote:
Does this mean that an upgrade to ADSL2 could leave me without internet access for up to 2 weeks? :shock:
Yes.

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 pm

Up to 2 weeks downtime while the service gets provisioned :shock:

I'm sure that eXeTeL try to keep this downtime to a minimum, at the mercy of the provision'ers. So I wont ask why we can't maintain our ADSL1 connection until our ADSL2 connection is ready.

Rather, I will seek a little technical clarity here. Could you please point out where the cross-over of service (ADSL1 --> ADSL2) causes such a delay?

I too was considering converting my current eXeTeL ADSL1 'TELL' plan to its ADSL2 equivalent 'AnyPhone D' plan. But this downtime is giving me second thoughts. What would be the average downtime for recent ADSL1 --> ADSL2 connections... for current eXeTeL users (not churns)?

Also just a quick question about Line Filters. Are different filters required for ADSL2? That's if I was to keep my current NetComm NB1300. Thanx.

- TZ!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Thy_Zombie! wrote:I too was considering converting my current eXeTeL ADSL1 'TELL' plan to its ADSL2 equivalent 'AnyPhone D' plan. But this downtime is giving me second thoughts. What would be the average downtime for recent ADSL1 --> ADSL2 connections... for current eXeTeL users (not churns)?
I think the ANYPHONE plans are in the process of having the downtime drastically reduced (down to a few hours). Wait for an Exetel representative to confirm whether this is available yet though.
Thy_Zombie! wrote:Also just a quick question about Line Filters. Are different filters required for ADSL2? That's if I was to keep my current NetComm NB1300. Thanx.
ADSL1 filters will work, but some people report that ADSL2+ compliant filters work better and yield slightly higher speeds. However, if you retain your NetComm NB1300, it is an ADSL1 modem only and so will only negotiate an ADSL1 signal (G.DMT modulation). So in this case, your current filters will work fine and you will only need to upgrade once you purchase an ADSL2+ modem (some ADSL2+ modems include a filter in the box).

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanx for the rapid reply CoreyPlover!

Yeh, not long after I wrote here, I read a comment from CLoSeR in another thread (does my exchange has ADSL2+ availability?) that stated there were changes afoot :)

That would be a great change for the better. Please keep us posted.

- TZ!