from Telstra to exetel naked - potential new customer

Old, inactive threads
isobel

from Telstra to exetel naked - potential new customer

Post by isobel » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:51 pm

I've searched through the exetel FAQs and forums and I haven't been able to find the answers to my questions. My apologies if they've already been answered and I can't find the answers - please direct me to previous answers if this is the case!

Our situation is as follows:
- We currently have Telstra ADSL in our house. We also have another phone line in use in the house (Transact) which we intend to keep active for incoming and some outgoing phone calls and for emergency purposes. We don't need the Telstra phone any more as it was associated with my partner's former business; but we do want to keep an internet connection for personal use - so figure that a "naked" plan is the best deal for us - and we like the look of exetel's nonphone Z plan.
- The Telstra account is in my partner's name (as it was associated with his business), but we want the Exetel account to be in my name.
- Our existing modem does not have wireless or VOIP capability so we also want a new modem (multiple ethernet ports plus wireless plus VOIP ports) - and noticed that the Dynalink RTA1046VW meets these criteria and is available when signing up to exetel. Due to technical ignorance (I haven't set up VOIP or wireless before), I'm not sure whether we need any of the modem accessories on the application form (we already have ethernet cables and a spare telephone handset).

My questions are:

(1) Is it possible for the exetel account to be in my name even though the telstra account is in my partner's name? If not, how quick and easy is it to initially have exetel in my partner's name (but paid for using my credit card or bank account) and then switch soon afterwards to the exetel account being in my name? Or do we need to first have the Telstra account changed to being in my name (either jointly with my partner or otherwise)?

(2) Can you please confirm that a line filter is not required if we're on a naked plan with the Dynalink RTA1046VW?

(3) If we get the Dynalink RTA1046VW, are we likely to need any modem accessories (as listed on the application form) if we want to connect a couple of desktops via ethernet and a laptop wirelessly and want to occasionally make VOIP calls? We were thinking that we wouldn't need any of the listed accessories as we already have enough ethernet cables and a spare telephone handset.

(4) If we get a nonphoneZ plan and the Dynalink RTA1046VW, does this mean that our set-up costs would be $230 ($60 activation fee + $150 for the modem + $20 for modem freight) and that our monthly costs for the first 12 months (if we use less than our quota of downloads and less than 100 VOIP calls a month) would be $48 ($45 nonphone Z + $3 account administration fee)? What happens after the first 12 months?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: from Telstra to exetel naked - potential new customer

Post by Dazzled » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:46 pm

I'll let a mod or staffer answer your account question, but the rest are straightforward.

2. You won't need a line filter for naked as there is no PSTN fitting on that line to filter. A filtered double adapter/splitter comes in the box anyway.

3. The Dynalink unit combines as modem + router + wireless router + VoIP ATA. It has all you need for ethernet (wired) networking, and can connect wirelessly as well. Probably the most useful handset you could plug in would be a cordless base station with multiple handsets, but any old phone will do.

The Dynalink also has provision to handle PSTN input/output as well, if you want to connect your other line to it. The same phone/base station can then use both your lines. You probably won't make occasional calls - VoIP is so clear and so cheap, you will use it as much as possible.

4. I think costs are parrotted back to you when you fill in the order form (don't press confirm yet). At the end of the contract period you will simply continue as before as if it were current (a bit like leasing a flat, and going on to weekly rental). If you see a more attractive plan then, you can change to that. On the other hand, If plan changes have left your old plan orphaned, Exetel may ask you to choose a new arrangement, which might be whatever is similar. In other words, when the contract expires either side is free to negotiate a new contract. Sometimes people continue on expired plans for quite a long time.

Don't forget to check out the mobile phone offerings either. These plans are very economical and you can combine all your communications billing in one invoice. Once you are a customer all the other Exetel offerings are available from the Logged-In section of the website.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:22 pm

isobel wrote:We currently have Telstra ADSL in our house. We also have another phone line in use in the house (Transact) which we intend to keep active for incoming and some outgoing phone calls and for emergency purposes. We don't need the Telstra phone any more as it was associated with my partner's former business; but we do want to keep an internet connection for personal use - so figure that a "naked" plan is the best deal for us - and we like the look of exetel's nonphone Z plan.
Is there really a compelling reason to have 2 phone lines? If you choose the non-Naked ADSL2 you can have both voip AND non-voip calls without paying an additional line rental. You could still receive calls on your normal phone number (the TransACT line) and make calls via VoIP WITH THE SAME TELEPHONE (ie make and receive with the same phone, not receive with one and make with the other). That way you'll pay $58, instead of $48 to exetel and $30 or so to TransACT. You won't get the 100 free voip calls, but at 10c each they are worth $10 so you'll still be ahead financially (plus not having to run around the house deciding which phone is ringing and which phone to dial out on, forgetting to use the voip phone and then getting hit with normal/"large" phone bills!).

If service reliability is your worry, then no need because if the voip ever offline (eg during a blackout) your TransACT phone service would still work, only the voip would not. Be aware though that your line rental and calls on this line would be to Exetel, not to TransACT. Oh, a thought - I assume this is a normal phone line, not TransACT's fibre lines?
(1) Is it possible for the exetel account to be in my name even though the telstra account is in my partner's name? If not, how quick and easy is it to initially have exetel in my partner's name (but paid for using my credit card or bank account) and then switch soon afterwards to the exetel account being in my name? Or do we need to first have the Telstra account changed to being in my name (either jointly with my partner or otherwise)?
Exetel can answer that, suffice to say that the account and the phone line but be the same, BUT you can use whatever account you like to pay the bill.
(2) Can you please confirm that a line filter is not required if we're on a naked plan with the Dynalink RTA1046VW?
Correct.
(3) If we get the Dynalink RTA1046VW, are we likely to need any modem accessories (as listed on the application form) if we want to connect a couple of desktops via ethernet and a laptop wirelessly and want to occasionally make VOIP calls? We were thinking that we wouldn't need any of the listed accessories as we already have enough ethernet cables and a spare telephone handset.
Correct, nothing else should be required.
(4) If we get a nonphoneZ plan and the Dynalink RTA1046VW, does this mean that our set-up costs would be $230 ($60 activation fee + $150 for the modem + $20 for modem freight) and that our monthly costs for the first 12 months (if we use less than our quota of downloads and less than 100 VOIP calls a month) would be $48 ($45 nonphone Z + $3 account administration fee)? What happens after the first 12 months?

Again correct. After the 12 months you would continue on unless you decide to change plans. Exetel have a history of not forcing people off old plans. Of course, being off contract they can't guarantee that BUT they have never done it in the past. If you decide to change plans you will have a choice of whatever is available at the time.

If exetel introduces higher quotas to their plans, they will ALSO provide this to existing users, even those on contracts. So if your plan is made better, you benefit too. If you plan is made more expensive or reduced somehow, you won't be affected. Can't really lose with that deal!

isobel

Post by isobel » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Thanks dazzled and peterh_oz for your replies to questions (2), (3) and (4)! I'm guessing I need to wait til "normal" business hours (ie tomorrow) to get an answer to question (1) from an Exetel staff member - if I don't get an answer in a couple of days, I'll send an email through. Unfortunately, I can't fill in the order form until I get an answer to question (1)!!!
peterh_oz wrote:Is there really a compelling reason to have 2 phone lines? If you choose the non-Naked ADSL2 you can have both voip AND non-voip calls without paying an additional line rental. You could still receive calls on your normal phone number (the TransACT line) and make calls via VoIP WITH THE SAME TELEPHONE (ie make and receive with the same phone, not receive with one and make with the other). That way you'll pay $58, instead of $48 to exetel and $30 or so to TransACT. You won't get the 100 free voip calls, but at 10c each they are worth $10 so you'll still be ahead financially (plus not having to run around the house deciding which phone is ringing and which phone to dial out on, forgetting to use the voip phone and then getting hit with normal/"large" phone bills!).
We've currently got multiple mobile phones and two handsets each to two separate landlines in this house (ie more than one mobile per person; and 4 landline handsets)- so we're used to being aware of which way to turn when a particular line is ringing (and being aware of whether it's a personal or business phone call!); and we're used to being careful about which phone we use to ring which numbers (TransACT to TransACT are free regardless of the number of calls - this impacts people who ring us as well as us ringing out; and the existing deal we have with Telstra includes a large number of free local calls a month).
peterh_oz wrote:If service reliability is your worry, then no need because if the voip ever offline (eg during a blackout) your TransACT phone service would still work, only the voip would not. Be aware though that your line rental and calls on this line would be to Exetel, not to TransACT. Oh, a thought - I assume this is a normal phone line, not TransACT's fibre lines?
You got it - the TransACT phone is NOT on a normal phone line: it's on TransACT's infrastructure (ie not a PSTN line) - so your suggestion is not possible with Transact! And I do want to keep the TransACT line (I don't want to rely solely on VOIP; nor do I want to cancel TransACT in favour of non-naked ADSL) for several other reasons. But thanks again for the suggestion!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:00 pm

isobel wrote:if I don't get an answer in a couple of days, I'll send an email through. Unfortunately, I can't fill in the order form until I get an answer to question (1)!!!
Send an email in immediately (probably billing@exetel.com.au is the most appropriate, Edit: or residentialsales@exetel.com.au as Gidget points out below); it will be quicker than waiting for a response to this thread. It would be good if you could post back with the response you receive too.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:10 pm

My understanding is that, similar to an IncPhone service, the Exetel account for a NonPhone service has to be in the same name as the existing Telstra account. There is no problem in having the Exetel account in one name and paying for it with a different credit card or bank account. As you are thinking of changing the Exetel account name to your name, it could well be easier to change the Telstra account name to yours before ordering the Exetel service (just make sure Telstra doesn't disconnect your ADSL in the process). On the other hand, once you have the Naked service operational (and therefore no more telephone service), you could then change the Exetel account into your name. Exetel makes a $25 charge for this (see the bottom of this page).
For a definitive confirmation of the above, it would be best to email residentialsales@exetel.com.au.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

isobel

Post by isobel » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks CoreyPlover and Gidget

I've sent an email through to residentialsales - and I'll post the reply here when I get it.

isobel

Cuong

Post by Cuong » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:37 am

isobel wrote: (1) Is it possible for the exetel account to be in my name even though the telstra account is in my partner's name? If not, how quick and easy is it to initially have exetel in my partner's name (but paid for using my credit card or bank account) and then switch soon afterwards to the exetel account being in my name? Or do we need to first have the Telstra account changed to being in my name (either jointly with my partner or otherwise)?

Actually just have the account holder add you as an authorized administrator to the telstra service, this should not disconnect your service as Gidget was advising, once this has occurred you can apply for the naked ADSL2+ service(this will now be under your name). You can now set your partner's payment details for the account or alternatively make no changes to the service, have your partner as the account holder and set your own payment details for the service.

I hope this cleared things up.

isobel

Post by isobel » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks Cuong for the quick reply.

To the others reading this thread - it was Cuong who replied to my email to residentialsales - so no need for me to post the reply here as Cuong has already done so! We'll have me added as an authorised administrator on my partner's Telstra account and then I'll be able to fill in the order form in the way that I wanted!

Thanks again to everyone who's replied to my questions - I'm impressed with the speed (and friendliness) of replies!

isobel