Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Phillo

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by Phillo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Ok.... I am going to be lynched for this suggestion.

BUT.... why not GET RID OF OFF PEAK TIMES.... and give us an extra 20 gb of download???

Stupid idea isnt it?

The fact is people.... I am sure we all get annoyed when our connection slows down at midnight. This move is exactly what exetel are trying to avoid.

On occasions, i like to play online console games at around midnight. Because of the slow down the game becomes UNPLAYABLE online. While I like the midnight off peak time.... I would prefer speed over quota at that time of night.

Besides... if "off peak" time was until 2pm... all you workers could set off a download before you went to work and it would probably be finished by time you got home. What possibly could you download that would take more than 6 or so hours!!! ;)

As I said before.... I vote YES... change the peak/off peak periods. It WILL result in a better service for everyone.

manic77

Post by manic77 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 pm

hi Exetel,

i would personally expect the option to choose the off-peak hours, thru the website.

i would suggest 3 options that would help ppl to adopt to new timing.

1. 10pm - 10am -- great for ppl who download or watch tv in later nights.
2. 12pm - 12am -- ......
3. 2am - 2pm -- great for ppl who download or watch tv in the morning

whatever it may be the reason, please dont reduce the off-peak hours....

3 options, sure, everyone would choose differently according to their patterns of internet usage.

how abt it?

Claaah

Post by Claaah » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 pm

NO THANKS! I prefer it the way it is. For me i start downloading at 12am, go to sleep and then take my laptop with me to work/uni the next day (around 9 or 10am). Yeah i miss out on a couple of hours of off peak downloading, but if you changed it to 2am-2pm i would be missing out on much more. Please leave it the way it is, or at least give each individual a choice of which to use.

Phillo

Post by Phillo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Sorry to add another post to this thread.....

But... can I ask a question of everyone?? (and I am not affiliated with exetel)

BUT... If Exetel changed the off peak times to 2am - 2pm EST... Would you change ISP? If you would change... would this be the ONLY and DECIDING factor?

Harry2280

Post by Harry2280 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 pm

I hate this idea. It doesn't suit me at all..... I very rarely sit up past midnight but frequently want to use the computer by 12PM.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 pm

gillynco wrote:Exetel provide a great service now and if this is going to help keep the service running as it does I'm all for it.
There is quite a disparity between the small number of posters who take the view of this customer (welcome to the Forum, by the way :) ) and the vast majority of posters who only think of themselves and how they will cope with possibly being unable to download 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Just an observation - I suppose those who are passionate in either direction will post, while everyone else won't find a need to comment.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

silverplanet

Post by silverplanet » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Hell noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

tr3nton

Post by tr3nton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Phillo wrote: BUT... If Exetel changed the off peak times to 2am - 2pm EST... Would you change ISP? If you would change... would this be the ONLY and DECIDING factor?
No, IMO Exetel is by far the best!
hi

kogi

Post by kogi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 pm

I don't have problem with it. I'd even prefer it to end at 12pm so it doesn't affect my exetel at work.

kogi

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Phillo wrote:Ok.... I am going to be lynched for this suggestion.
BUT.... why not GET RID OF OFF PEAK TIMES.... and give us an extra 20 gb of download???
Stupid idea isnt it?
No actually. But it won't happen. I'd like it to. I'd gladly give up 20GB of off peak to get non-speed-limited downloads anytime.
The fact is people.... I am sure we all get annoyed when our connection slows down at midnight. This move is exactly what exetel are trying to avoid.
My connection doesn't slow at midnight that I've noticed.
On occasions, i like to play online console games at around midnight. Because of the slow down the game becomes UNPLAYABLE online. While I like the midnight off peak time.... I would prefer speed over quota at that time of night.

I don't play games, but yes I fully agree with speed over quota.
Besides... if "off peak" time was until 2pm... all you workers could set off a download before you went to work and it would probably be finished by time you got home. What possibly could you download that would take more than 6 or so hours!!! ;)
Let's be honest... Most people's off peak downloads are p2p - ie. video. Sometimes they take days to complete and if you keep exiting the client you lose your download slot. So it is in fact highly likely MOST downloads will still be going 6 hours later. Especially if your on 512/256k.
As I said before.... I vote YES... change the peak/off peak periods. It WILL result in a better service for everyone.
You can think so. I do not. :cry:

FPSHero

Post by FPSHero » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:45 pm

As long as the 12on 12off, remains, there is no prob for me though i have to admit my net usage is more prominent in the afternoons, so this is a good choice from exetel thanx guys.

ajc1

Post by ajc1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:46 pm

I support a 2am to 2pm Off Peak change.

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Gidget on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 pm:

There's a pretty silly comment. Most people not wanting the change are not downloading 24/7. They are saying they want to be AWAKE so they can start their downloads.

crazyhawk

Post by crazyhawk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I agree with manic77 a few posts up.
People could choose:
1. 10pm - 10am
2. 12pm - 12am
3. 2am - 2pm

Other than that, I'd hate if it changed from the current status to 2am-2pm. I prefer how it is, or even better would be 10pm-10am.

cheers.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Also according to exetel
this was suggested by a few people.

Just to be devil's advocate.
Is this true or cos exetel wants people to download less during the offpeak, so they suggest this idea
and putting this out there as a suggestion "made by others" to test the waters, or responses.

Making the offpeak at 2am will mean not everyone who is tech savy with timer schedules,
or can't stay up to 2am to start downloading won't download offpeak till they wake up.
Thus this reduces their offpeak % of people downloading and therefore their cost etc.