I have this friend who...

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
gmphoto

I have this friend who...

Post by gmphoto » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:00 am

Hi, I know this sounds lame but...I have this friend who...

-who wishes to join the Exetel revolution on my good advice

-who is in the Paddington Qld exchange area

-who has recently has had to cancel a Telstra PSTN service (073367xxxx) - I assume a copper circuit - and associated Bigpond Cable connection due to a partnership break down (not personal). The cancellations had to, in the end, involve the TCO so it is all very messy

-have another telephone service in their home with Optus. They have a nongeographic number (073311xxxx) with Optus. I don't know if this is a PSTN service or is attached to the cable box on their house

-who on reading the conditions for Exetel service noted that no ADSL2+ services are available using an Optus telephone service and wonder - in general terms - why is this so

-tried ordering Exetel ADSL2+ and was thwarted at the Availabilty Check page as they expected - but are nevertheless very disappointed

-tried ordering (shudder) TPG ADSL2+ but where thwarted is this attempt with a response email which informed them that them that ADSL2+ was not available on an Optus telephone service - they are starting to get the message at this stage

-have been "offered" the bargain of all you can eat "unlimited" Optus Cable Broadband and telephone for the bargain of $129 per month with a 24 month contract and with shaping when they have used their "unlimited" download limit

-still wish to join Exetel

-do not wish to deal with Telstra ever again

-would be happy to go "Naked"

My question is - what can my friend do about this dilemma and conundrum?
Last edited by gmphoto on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: I have this friend who...

Post by Dazzled » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:16 am

One small thing needed - is there an old-fashioned copper telephone connection already in the house, perhaps from pre-cable days? ADSL1 and 2 are carried over standard phone lines, no matter which ISP is used.

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 am

Dazzled wrote:One small thing needed - is there an old-fashioned copper telephone connection already in the house, perhaps from pre-cable days? ADSL1 and 2 are carried over standard phone lines, no matter which ISP is used.
Hi Dazzled, I "assume" that the Telstra number (073367xxxx) that has just been disconnected by Telstra is copper...I'll check as best I can today.

I am dropping an HSPA to them so they can at least do email and such until they sort this out. This is however not a long term solution as they are both heavy youtube and inner net shopping addicts. We all have our weaknesses!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 am

Pity it was disconnected - it could have been transferred lock, stock and barrel to Exetel. You may need to reconnect.

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:19 am

Dazzled wrote:Pity it was disconnected - it could have been transferred lock, stock and barrel to Exetel. You may need to reconnect.
Unfortunately it was a VERY messy situation...easier to cut all ties rather than leaving dangly bits waiting to get whacked...ouch!

Given the situation do they have to reconnect with Telstra or can they reconnect with a Telstra retailer as has been alluded to over at Whirlpool?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm

The answer to this question used to be quite simple: reconnect with Telstra, then after 2-3 days apply for Exetel. Exetel would take the phone line away from Telstra and provision ADSL on it; everybody wins because the phone line activation through Telstra was cheap (only $59 if you have an existing copper line, $159 if minor re-wiring is required) and you end up with a non-Telstra bundled or naked ADSL2+ plan from Exetel.

But, now Telstra have introduced a "temporary line fee" where they charge $100 if a third party provider takes the line away from Telstra within the first 3 months. So you can still to the above process, but it now costs $100 more.

Unfortunately I do not know of any ideal alternative to the above. Exetel offer to do the phone line provisioning on your behalf but only if you are an existing relocating customer. This option is not yet available for new customers. There are some ways to make the cost cheaper, but they involve some level of inconvenience:
  • Get the Telstra line, keep using HSPA for 3 months and then apply for Exetel; or
  • Get the Telstra line, apply for Exetel ADSL1, keep the ADSL1 for 6 months (contract term) then upgrade to ADSL2+
Personally, I'd just pay the Telstra costs and get ADSL2 as soon as possible. The extra $100 is effectively recouped in monthly savings over an interval of several months and if your friend desires high quota downloads then I think the convenience of Exetel's ADSL2+ services would be worth the up-front cost

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:29 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:The answer to this question used to be quite simple: reconnect with Telstra, then after 2-3 days apply for Exetel. Exetel would take the phone line away from Telstra and provision ADSL on it; everybody wins because the phone line activation through Telstra was cheap (only $59 if you have an existing copper line, $159 if minor re-wiring is required) and you end up with a non-Telstra bundled or naked ADSL2+ plan from Exetel.

But, now Telstra have introduced a "temporary line fee" where they charge $100 if a third party provider takes the line away from Telstra within the first 3 months. So you can still to the above process, but it now costs $100 more.

Unfortunately I do not know of any ideal alternative to the above. Exetel offer to do the phone line provisioning on your behalf but only if you are an existing relocating customer. This option is not yet available for new customers. There are some ways to make the cost cheaper, but they involve some level of inconvenience:
  • Get the Telstra line, keep using HSPA for 3 months and then apply for Exetel; or
  • Get the Telstra line, apply for Exetel ADSL1, keep the ADSL1 for 6 months (contract term) then upgrade to ADSL2+
Personally, I'd just pay the Telstra costs and get ADSL2 as soon as possible. The extra $100 is effectively recouped in monthly savings over an interval of several months and if your friend desires high quota downloads then I think the convenience of Exetel's ADSL2+ services would be worth the up-front cost
So if they are willing to take the $100 disconnect fee from Telstra they can apply for a new connection with Telstra, wait for a dial tone and for the number to appear on the Telstra database so it can be read by the Exetel Availabilty Check page, order Exetel Naked ADSL2+ from the Exetel website, let Exetel take over the line from Telstra who will charge them $100 fee for early cancellation of their service, and all will be happy?

Please tell me this is so!

Also, why does everyone shun Optus for ADSL2+ connections?

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:04 pm

That's my understanding. Exetel and its phone contractor Optus, need a working line before it can be taken over from Telstra. Apart from avoiding bad line hassles, them's the rules. The line in the street will be disconnected from all Telstra equipment and reconnected to Optus gear located in the local Telstra-owned exchange. Backhaul (non-Telstra) comes to Exetel. This is all quite independent of Optus services carried on the overhead cable which is a separate network.

Direct Optus ADSL2 retail plans for a similar service over phone lines are not as attractive as Exetel's. As you have seen, cable internet, whether Telstra or Optus, locks you in. To leave the Exetel ADSL2 bundled service will involve disconnection at the exchange and reconnection to another ISP, but it is not as expensive or messy as getting off cable.

Find out a neighbour's number, and do an availability check on it, to ensure the exchange has room.

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Dazzled wrote:Find out a neighbour's number, and do an availability check on it, to ensure the exchange has room.
Good point!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:33 pm

gmphoto wrote:So if they are willing to take the $100 disconnect fee from Telstra they can apply for a new connection with Telstra, wait for a dial tone and for the number to appear on the Telstra database so it can be read by the Exetel Availabilty Check page, order Exetel Naked ADSL2+ from the Exetel website, let Exetel take over the line from Telstra who will charge them $100 fee for early cancellation of their service, and all will be happy?
All will be happy and this is actually the most straightforward way to apply for Exetel services.
gmphoto wrote:Also, why does everyone shun Optus for ADSL2+ connections?
In what respect?
* They shun getting Optus to provision the phone line because getting a Telstra service first is much easier for Exetel to work with
* They shun getting Optus ADSL2+ services as they are not as cost effective as Exetel's (14GB costs $50/month bundled whereas Exetel plans cost less than that and give more quota)
* Also, Optus plans have a 24 month contract as opposed to a 12 month one which is how the fund the "free" modem
* Finally, Optus bundled plans have a $300 pro-rata cancellation fee for broadband + $199 pro-rata cancellation fee for the phone. Exetel's is $50 flat for broadband and $50 flat for phone.

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:26 pm

The friends have contacted Telstra who have provided them with a new phone number and say the service will be available from COB today...touch wood I say.

So next step is to wait for the number to register them apply for Naked...hope this works for them as they are already getting withdrawals and are having to talk to each other...

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:31 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
gmphoto wrote:So if they are willing to take the $100 disconnect fee from Telstra they can apply for a new connection with Telstra, wait for a dial tone and for the number to appear on the Telstra database so it can be read by the Exetel Availabilty Check page, order Exetel Naked ADSL2+ from the Exetel website, let Exetel take over the line from Telstra who will charge them $100 fee for early cancellation of their service, and all will be happy?
All will be happy and this is actually the most straightforward way to apply for Exetel services.
gmphoto wrote:Also, why does everyone shun Optus for ADSL2+ connections?
In what respect?
* They shun getting Optus to provision the phone line because getting a Telstra service first is much easier for Exetel to work with
* They shun getting Optus ADSL2+ services as they are not as cost effective as Exetel's (14GB costs $50/month bundled whereas Exetel plans cost less than that and give more quota)
* Also, Optus plans have a 24 month contract as opposed to a 12 month one which is how the fund the "free" modem
* Finally, Optus bundled plans have a $300 pro-rata cancellation fee for broadband + $199 pro-rata cancellation fee for the phone. Exetel's is $50 flat for broadband and $50 flat for phone.
I only say this because both yourselves (Exetel) and TPG rejected their application for ADSL2+ on the basis that they are "with Optus" on their other phone service. Don't know if it's copper or cable though so I assume this would have a major bearing on whether ADSL2+ could be provisioned on this service.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Cable = No ADSL. With two rejections I would suppose it's a cable phone service.

gmphoto

Post by gmphoto » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:16 am

Dazzled wrote:Cable = No ADSL. With two rejections I would suppose it's a cable phone service.
So an application is not rejected out of hand because it is an Optus service? Even if it is copper? I was starting to get the impression that connecting to Optus had just been put in the "too hard" basket by other DSL retailers.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 am

If it is a copper line that Optus leased from Telstra then Exetel provisioning should detect it and proceed with the ADSL activation. I would assume other resellers of Optus infrastructure services would also do something similar.

If it is an Optus cable then it gets rejected outright

If it is a copper line that is not leased from Telstra, then I don't know exactly.