Why do we need to log in twice?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
compositor

Why do we need to log in twice?

Post by compositor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:52 am

Something about from some date Exetel users will have no guest access.

Bug or hacked implementation?

Either way very annoying.

Please integrate with your website, as it meas I have to log in 3 times.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Why do we need to log in twice?

Post by Dazzled » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:08 am

The user facility has its own user name and password system. The forum has a separate forum log in, and an additional log in if you wish to post, which matches the user facility. This was discussed here at length when it was implemented, but you'll have to accept that it was a management decision.

Some browsers cannot succeed directly at all with the user facility log in, or with the second forum one, because of the way it has been implemented. The standards-compliant ones have varying degrees of difficulty. IE and FF both work. It is annoying to log in manually, but you can automate it in a browser which works.

compositor

Post by compositor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Even in the forum I am being asked twice, notwithstanding having to log into the rest of the website.

Management decision or not, it's not good for customers one thinks when it could simply be that there are guest and non-guest forums like what other (arguably more thoughtful) companies have, particularly when you have to log in originally to your account; it totals 3 logins not to mention if you have a phone account, web hosting etc so effectively there can be 4 logins in totality.

Time to go back to the drawing board one thinks :!: :idea:

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:02 am

I had asked in the past about this and I believe i got a decent response, can't seem to find the thread anymore though :/
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

dougy

Post by dougy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:32 am

This is DEFINITELY something that needs to be addressed as a matter of priority. I'm not aware of any other website on planet earth that involves so much stuffing around in order to achieve so little. Why hasn't it been resolved in the several years users have been complaining about it ??

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 am

dougy wrote:This is DEFINITELY something that needs to be addressed as a matter of priority. I'm not aware of any other website on planet earth that involves so much stuffing around in order to achieve so little. Why hasn't it been resolved in the several years users have been complaining about it ??
Fair bit of hyperbole there, mate. "definitely"?, "no other website on Earth"?

As has been mentioned, it is a suggestion that has been echoed repeatedly but there are managerial reasons why a second login is require (probably in order to restrict helpdesk support to Exetel customers only) and there are probably techncial ones too (like how to link a phpBB database to Exetel's), so the issue is not a trivial one to address.

But ultimately, it's a second login. It is not as critical as you make it out to be. Just set this forum (phpBB) login to remember you and (on most system, but not all) this will log you into the forum automatically. If you want to post, you will then be asked for a single Exetel login. Therefore you should only require one login if you come direct to forum.exetel.com.au and have a compatible browser that remembers your forum.exetel.com.au credentials (For example, I viewed this message without any login required and I posted this reply only logging on once).
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

compositor

Post by compositor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Corey, it's the fact that the logins are cumulative, but fortunately I get around this issue by using a password storage application in the browser called LastPass.