SMS from computer and mobile?

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services
maggie

SMS from computer and mobile?

Post by maggie » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:51 pm

I just discovered this facility on my account a couple of days ago.
I just wanted to check that I can make SMS texts from my computer to any mobile number? Is there a way to do it with out manually logging to the account each time? So I can just access it from the desktop?
Can I also use this on my mobile phone? Eg by setting credentials in CSipSimple or Zoiper? I do not have an Exetel mobile or SIM card though.
Also unclear on the address book uploading and the 3 column thing. I have downloaded my Google contacts as a csv file. Can I just upload it to Exetel or do I have to edit it some how?
Thanks!

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Re: SMS from computer and mobile?

Post by Amila Fernando » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:44 pm

maggie wrote:I just discovered this facility on my account a couple of days ago.
I just wanted to check that I can make SMS texts from my computer to any mobile number? Is there a way to do it with out manually logging to the account each time? So I can just access it from the desktop?
Can I also use this on my mobile phone? Eg by setting credentials in CSipSimple or Zoiper? I do not have an Exetel mobile or SIM card though.
Also unclear on the address book uploading and the 3 column thing. I have downloaded my Google contacts as a csv file. Can I just upload it to Exetel or do I have to edit it some how?
Thanks!
Yes, through Web SMS service you can send SMS to mobile numbers. In order to send it from your desktop you can download EXESMS application.

EXESMS is a Windows GUI application for the Exetel SMS API. It allows Exetel customers to send SMS messages without having to log into the Secure Members Facilities area.

Unfortunately, you cannot use it on mobile.The address book allows you to store numbers of friends/customers that are frequently used.

You must first create a group name and the second step is to individually add the name and phone numbers of each person you would like to add to the group. Kindly edit your address book according to given guide lines on Member Facilities area and upload the "CSV" file.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

maggie

Post by maggie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Thank you Amila.
I have a Linux computer. Is there a way to have a desktop application for non Windows users?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:08 pm

maggie wrote:Thank you Amila.
I have a Linux computer. Is there a way to have a desktop application for non Windows users?
I have checked with the developing team and currently it is not supported with Linux base. However we are in the process of developing a brandnew application, where it will be compatible with both windows and Linux in future.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:18 pm

There are several bash and python scripts floating around. I wrote a couple myself yonks ago. This one has been on line since 2007 - http://www.arinola.net/misc/sms_send - you could give it a try (I haven't used it myself).

eXeSMS-full does run under Linux systems, if you don't mind running a java binary. It has been discussed in the forum.

If you code, I posted here a year ago:
It is actually fairly short and simple to script, for example, the send SMS function -
1. Set up your user constants;
2. Read the first 160 chars from stdin or a popup GUI like Xenity;
3. Echo into message the input above, with all the special characters escaped for use in a URL. This is the tricky bit, use sed - see http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp for the things to escape);
4. Use curl to connect to the server, with the all the user particulars and the message appended to the URL, as described in the Exetel documentation.
5. Check error status.
PS Google found this python, also getting long in the tooth, but check it out - http://home.exetel.com.au/agl/files/exemessage.py

maggie

Post by maggie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Thank you guys I'll give it a try and I look forward to the new app too.