Port forwarding

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
Tangles

Port forwarding

Post by Tangles » Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 am

Hi there

Do exetel block any ports on HFC, specifically 3389, or is there a firewall?

I have just transitioned to Exetel HFC from Optus Cable and have plugged my router (Asus RT-AC68U) from the optus NTU into the NBN/Exetel Arris NTU and changed the PPPoE settings to suit. Apart from that, nothing else has changed so it seems odd that I can no longer get RDP to work. If I plug back into Optus it works again.

Can't find any info on whether my IP with Exetel is static, can anyone confirm if it is / if it's possible to get one?

Cheers
Tim

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Port forwarding

Post by KavindaS » Fri May 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Tangles wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 am
Hi there

Do exetel block any ports on HFC, specifically 3389, or is there a firewall?

I have just transitioned to Exetel HFC from Optus Cable and have plugged my router (Asus RT-AC68U) from the optus NTU into the NBN/Exetel Arris NTU and changed the PPPoE settings to suit. Apart from that, nothing else has changed so it seems odd that I can no longer get RDP to work. If I plug back into Optus it works again.

Can't find any info on whether my IP with Exetel is static, can anyone confirm if it is / if it's possible to get one?

Cheers
Tim
Exetel do not block any ports. However, you may log in to your my exetel members section and check the current IP type. If it is not a static IP, you have an option there to request for a static IP by specifying the technical reason. Exetel support management will review your request and reply accordingly.

Tangles

Post by Tangles » Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Ah, thanks! Took a bit to figure out that it was a CG-NAT opt-out request I needed to submit:
Carrier-Grade NAT (herein CGNAT) is a technology used to have a single IP address span a much larger volume of customers. CGNAT is used in an effort to reduce the amount of IP's used in the now depleted IPv4 space. Due to the way CGNAT works this can interrupt connections that require accessible ports on your Router.
This would explain why I'm not having any luck getting port forwarding working.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Sat May 18, 2019 2:13 am

Tangles wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 pm
Ah, thanks! Took a bit to figure out that it was a CG-NAT opt-out request I needed to submit:
Carrier-Grade NAT (herein CGNAT) is a technology used to have a single IP address span a much larger volume of customers. CGNAT is used in an effort to reduce the amount of IP's used in the now depleted IPv4 space. Due to the way CGNAT works this can interrupt connections that require accessible ports on your Router.
This would explain why I'm not having any luck getting port forwarding working.
Exactly why I have requested you to make that request :)